Find
Notify
Tools

7.5X54MAS sight addjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FrownerI've had this brand spanking new MAS for about 6 years and desided to shoot it. 4" high and 4" to the right at fifty yards. I can see adjustment to make it go higher but nada to make it go lower or left to right. Am I missing something here? Did the French put in some clever adjustment scheme that I'm not seeing? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that they changed the peep for one that is offset left or right depending on what adjustment was needed. I haven't found a source, but wouldn't mind some. This is a quote from another site. "The sights required some getting used to though. At first glance there is no windage adjustment at all to the sights. However if you take off the front nose cap you will find that the front sight is drifted into a dovetail that can be moved in its slot. Getting there isn't all that easy though. The French for some reason figured that a normal slot head screw wasn't good enough so they made a screw head that has 2 opposing notches on each side of the screw head. An old screwdriver was sacrificed and after a little grinding with the dremel tool, a new tool was made to take this screw out." http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/mas36winchester.html

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thaine:
My understanding is that they changed the peep for one that is offset left or right depending on what adjustment was needed. I haven't found a source, but wouldn't mind some. This is a quote from another site. "The sights required some getting used to though. At first glance there is no windage adjustment at all to the sights. However if you take off the front nose cap you will find that the front sight is drifted into a dovetail that can be moved in its slot. Getting there isn't all that easy though. The French for some reason figured that a normal slot head screw wasn't good enough so they made a screw head that has 2 opposing notches on each side of the screw head. An old screwdriver was sacrificed and after a little grinding with the dremel tool, a new tool was made to take this screw out." http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/mas36winchester.html

Thaine - Thanks for the info on how to remove the nose cap. I know it has so far been "unremovable" on my Model 36.

I went to the website you posted the link to, and must say I am pretty disappointed by the appraisal given the rifle there.

I scoped my rifle, and have been using Prvi Partisan ball ammo in it (boxer primed, brass case, 138 gr. FMJ bullet). Though the trigger pull is atrociously heavy, and the butt stock of a proper length for a person who stands about 4'-3" tall (2 feet shorter than me), my rifle will still shoot right around 1" groups at 100 yards from the bench. That's with the Prvi Partisan ball fodder in the original 7.5x53 French chambering.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thaine:
An old screwdriver was sacrificed and after a little grinding with the dremel tool, a new tool was made to take this screw out."

I'll make the spanner wrench and give it a try. Thanks, Thaine

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbThain! Removed the front metal and sling band and adjusted the front sight. The approach now is very clear how this will become a semi Mannlicher appearing scout rifle. Thank you again for your inputs. wave cheersroger