Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 Ejector needed & question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Need a couple M98 Ejectors. Round Hole is what the other MKX action has.

Brings up a question. What is the difference between the round hole and oval. (yes I know hole shape) Different era? Mil vs commercial?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It was designed to offer a cushioning effect if the bolt is vigorously withdrawn. It is not important as some makers of them used a round hole. It is just one little detail that the Mauser Brothers thought was important. They are completely interchangeable.
Provable? Yes, from observing thousands of Mausers of various makes over the past 50 years.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the late Fred Wells and Tom Burgess said the elliptical hole was done to cushion the impact of the ejector blade on the bolt stop screw to prevent the screw from being bent over extended periods of shooting. In L. Olson's book on page 97 it directly makes mention of this design feature. I think I've also seen it in Speeds book, I'll let you guys look that up.

I have noticed a few bent screws over the years but can't honestly remember if the ejector blade had a round or oval hole. I have replaced all the round hole blades with oval hole blades when I've worked over 98's. On some you could see displaced peened steel on the leading edge of the round hole ejectors as well.

Take it for whats it's worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On page 19 of Stuart Otteson's book he also mentions the elongated hole to dampen the impact and protect the ejector blade

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the information. I knew there had to be a reason.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know you wanted some original documentation on it but I do not have that. I have read it in various Mauser books as others above did.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hee Hee...all the informatiion ..but did you ever find your parts?

Hey I asked.

Picked up a couple from Numrich

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1945 in Germany a retired Mauser worker gave me the answer contained in Otteson's book as reported by Mr. Echols

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote