Notify
Tools

Coloring devcon bedding ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

I have a couple of larger rifles to bed, and just brought a new box of 2 part DEVCON Stainless Steel putty, it's very GREY in color.

What can I add to it to make it a little BROWNER (walnut freindly), without compromising the mixture

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would guess that the brown dye that Brownells furnishes with their Acraglass and Acragel would work.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...tle=ACRAGLAS~%20DYES

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Or, dye it with wood stain after the bedding is done, if you have doubts about the dye infects the hardness of the compound.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried dying the Devcon, but have tried some of the other similar epoxies. None of them looked good at all. If you want a decent match for walnut, then dyed acraglas is the closest I have seen. based on trying with other epoxies, I am guessing that if you really dump the dye into the SS Devcon, then all you will get is a tan/light brown color that looks really bad and un appetizing.

Also, it it has steel particles in epoxy, then you will always see the steel. So you would have flecks of silver showing through the afore mentioned tan/light brown.

Adding SS to the epoxy matrix does a lot to make it stronger. Doubt you could really hurt the strength too much by adding dye. If you need max strength-go with the SS empoxies. If you need a close(er) match to wood color, go with acraglas.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Brownell's Steel Bed and their dye all the time. The dye coats the steel particles and they don't show through unless you grind or file the surface.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That i snice to know! WHich dyes do you use? I tried the little tubes that come in acraglas gel and it never worked out right

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i usually just take some of the really fine sawdust from the stock and mix in.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
I have the jar size from Brownells, acraglass dye, brown, and a dab the size of a paper matchhead will dye about 2 tablespoons of any epoxy nicely. Some wiseguy at the factory labeled the jar "Shake well before using"---the stuff is the consistency of peanut butter. homer

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Save yourself the headache................

Acrylic paint at any craft store can let you match any stock of any finish, till your heart is content.

Does not break down the strength of the bedding either.

I have used it on Acraglass and Acraglass Gel, though it would appear it would work just fine for steel bed too.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Triggerguard1. Turning a Grey product into a nice brown walnut color is unobtainable by simply putting dye into the epoxy . Clear epoxy is another story .

Just paint it when all is finished .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote