New
Find
Notify
Tools

quick question re barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a barrel threaded for a larger ring '98 receiver.

The barrel threads are noticeably sloppy when threaded into the receiver. Same thing happens on two different receivers.

Is the barrel a dead loss?

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impossible to answer. The parts need to be in experienced hands to make any kind of determination.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much to go on but just maybe you have a barrel with small Mauser threads, the difference being LR is 1.10 outside thread dia. vs .980 on a SR.
You could still probably use the barrel in a SR action if the LR threads are really messed up.
If you don't have the tools do as the previous poster suggests. --- John

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, depends. Who threaded it and how sloppy is it. Military barrels are usually fitted fairly tightly for Mausers, and fairly loose for US rifles, of course we use square threads. If it will tighten up, it will be ok. You will know when you torque it down. But really, I have seen some pre threaded barrels, like from Midway (most of them are now made by Green Mountain); those are not tight but might seem 'loose" to someone not familiar with them. It depends.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel has a large ring thread and it is cut too small it probably can be re-threaded for a small ring reciever.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be re-threaded for a small THREAD; most small ring 98s still use big 1.1 inch threads. And the Turk large ring uses small threads. No rhyme or reason to it. Small ring German and Polish 98s use big threads. Small ring G33-40 (a 98) uses small thread. Small ring pre 98s, use, small threads always. But first determine if it is really too small, or just a bit loose; they will be tight when you torque them on.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys, very helpful! My guess is that it will work on a large ring 98.

I'm really asking because I'd like to sell the barrel. However, I won't do that if I don't know for sure that it'll work...

I may just send it to a good gunsmith and let him install it then think about selling the barreled action. It's a good barrel oterwise, an Atkenson sporter taper in 338-06.

Best;
Brett