New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Precision Target Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in building a long range target/predator rifle but cannot spend a fortune. I noticed that Savage is now selling their Precision Target Action as a stand alone component. Has anyone had any experience with it? Does anyone know whether it can handle full length rounds? Does it fit a standard (B&C) Savage Varmint stock.

Also-I'm still trying to decide on caliber. I tend toward larger bores to buck wind (300 WM comes to mind) though the 6.5-284 or 243AI are also on the table if restricted to SA.

Any additional thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Precision Target Action

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they would respond to an email. But if it's a solid bottom single shot SA, all you need is enough port to eject. That can be done cheaply. And if it doesn't have the typical Savavge relaceable bolt head you can always have it opened up to a magnum casehead diameter and refit the extractor.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the last 1000 yard bench rest shoot in Pennsylvania there were 90 guys shooting the light gun class with only one Savage action listed. There we 84 guys shooting the heavy gun class with 0 Savage actions used. However, 25 of the heavy guns were Remington 700's and 39 of the light guns were Remington 700's. This is evidence enough that Savage has a great deal to learn about "precision target actions" And a standard Rem 700 action is about 350.00. And the Remington actions won half of the relays in the light gun class.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I just had a Precision Varminter 22-250 in for some tuning up. It was the right handed, left port action which I liked. But, while it is a little more heavily built and a little more polished than the standard Savage actions, it's still a Savage. If you like Savage, then it won't dissapoint you.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. How about the "why's" from some of the guys who have experience with F class riflry.

It seems to me that, once trued (face and lugs), an equivalent small ejection port, solid bottom action is stiffer. The Savage allows one to save on the subsequent smithing on barrel install allowing a budget minded shooter (like me) to put more money into a better barrel.

I guess I'm just wondering, besides habit and tradition, why a 700 would be inherently more accurate than the Savage. Thanks a million.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay, the Savage actions (also for F-Class) are discussed quite extensively over on

http://benchrest.com/forums/

In particular, this thread is interesting as it shows what can be achieved with a Savage action:

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42654&highlight=savage

The "Fred" referenced in that thread, and the master of Savage actions, is this guy:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ - you apparently have to obtain a slot to be able to have him work on your action/gun. You can't just send it to him...

Use the search function on http://benchrest.com/forums/
and you'll find a bunch of other posts on Savage actions for F-Class.

- mike

P.S. Passed Seeley Lake about 4 times the last couple of weeks - on my way up and down the Swans on Hwy 83. Pretty place you live!

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would tend to agree with Joe Miller on this .

Remington 700 seems to be what is being used by cost conscious long range shooters . Even out here in Kommyfronia .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
The 700 is the way to go for a few reasons. First is that many gunsmiths are very familiar with them as thousands of customs are built on them every year. An even better reason is that there is an entire industry built around after market parts for the 700. How many triggers are available for the new Savage action??? How about available stocks???
Recoil lugs? scope bases? the list goes on and on.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Larry Racine a call. He cleans a few 1000 yard clocks now and then with his Savage.

http://www.lprgunsmith.com/

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Call Savage. I would swear they are chambering one of their rigs in 6.5x284, but can't find it on the website. They don't answer emails. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage action uses three action screws which adds to the action stiffness. I know several guys that have tried to buy the savage action (right bolt- left port) and while advertised they have not been available.

The Savage F class rifle sounds like what your looking for.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, check this Link. Scroll down to the F Class rifle, offered in 6.5-284

Savage F Class

I guess what I'm hearing is aftermarket components and gunsmith experience are driving the choice and that action stiffness is secondary to precision accuracy. A lot to chew on but I appreciate the help and discussion guys.

Jay Kolbe

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few people playing with Savages, and the aftermarket suppliers are really stepping up to the demand.

For example, triggers for the Savage include the excellent (though not benchrest quality) factory trigger, the Sharp Shooter Supply, 2 from Rifle Basix, and Timney. Jewell has announced a true benchrest trigger, and Canjar produces a 2 oz set trigger (that no one seems to know about?). That ought to do? HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
There's a lot of aftermarket parts for Remmies---because they NEED THEM. I have 3 LR target rifles that I built, and the Savage M12 needed 1/3 the amount of tweaking that the Win70, and the Rem 700 needed. The only thing with Savages, are fouling problems from a rough bore (sometimes), which firelapping can cure(most of the time).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try talking to Larry Racine, a 'smith in southwestern NH, who has some experience building target rifles.

www.lprgunsmith.com

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote