Notify
Tools

Spot of assistance, here, what?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted
Chaps,
Somehow 'managed to bugger the front sight blade on the .318 whilst in Africa and I need a spot of advice on its correction. Can I just put the old girl in the Bisley and play a propane torch onto the blade and gently straighten it out? Seems rather a waste of expensive 'smith's time to send it off into the UPS just for so minor seemin' a repair but I don't want to risk snappin' off the blade, don'tcherknow.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If you can post a photo we can see the extent of the damage then proceed from there.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Materials are usually suspect in front sights and there is a good chance that it might break in the process.
I am finally back from vacation and if you bring your gun in I suppose I could take a look at it, otherwise I stock any sight you would want to replace it with be it Marbles, Williams, Burris, Lyman, etc.

Cliff's Gunsmithing
1856 W. 17th St.
Santa Ana, CA 92706

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

if it is only bent a blade width or two or so you can probably just carefully tap it back with a 2-4 oz hammer. If it is aluminum personally I'd think about replacing it no matter how slight the bend, and give shopcart a call.

Gad, the bend isn't even a full blade width, don'tcherknow, just a bit skewed t'the right and fortunately when the Greener was built, aluminium was for buildin' Spitfires, not firearms. I'll post the damage sometime t'day when I get t'process deciphered but thankyer for the help so far. 't's most encouragin'.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well that is good, it is original and steel!

With that slight a bend just tap it back. If you have a lead ingot use that as an anvil as it will be more forgiving on the backside. You'll probably mash the heck out of the corner of the lead but better that than the sight. Make sure the face of the hammer is spotlessly clean and free from burrs, pits, gouges and scrapes. I'd keep heat away from it, it is not needed. Is the sight soldered? If so you may knock it loose but if you do it needed to be resoldered anyway.

Good luck!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
As was said, post a pic. I'm a cheap skinflint usually but the problem with sights is if you bend them back they are usually weaker and will either break or bend even easier at a later date. However, if it is only bent a blade width or two or so you can probably just carefully tap it back with a 2-4 oz hammer. If it is aluminum personally I'd think about replacing it no matter how slight the bend, and give shopcart a call.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Well, that seems t'have sorted things out admir'bly. Thanks awfully, lads, all I need now is a trip t'the range t'correct the sightin' and it will be ready fer California pigs in April, Canadian bear in August and Texas whitetails next December. Probably, we'll even go back t'Natal in '06 where I have some very personal business t'complete with a couple of zebra!