Find
Notify
Tools

Ageing a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted
Is there such a thing as properly ageing a barrel blank along the same lines as with a timber stock blank or is this just a fallacy?
If this is true,under what conditions should the blank be stored?Also,if the blank has been bored and rifled,will this have any effect on the ageing.Then,what about once it's profiled,will thing's be happening then? bewildered Thanks.

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe there once was a theory of burying a barrel for a period of time to "age" it. Today, all the conditions you describe are taken care of during the stress relief process. The blank is drilled, reamed, rifled, then it is stress relieved in a heat process in a vacuum. It is then turned to profile then lapped.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mix3006:
Is there such a thing as properly ageing a barrel blank along the same lines as with a timber stock blank or is this just a fallacy?
If this is true,under what conditions should the blank be stored?Also,if the blank has been bored and rifled,will this have any effect on the ageing.Then,what about once it's profiled,will thing's be happening then? bewildered Thanks.

No. But, some of the PA Germans who made the longrifles thought that cleaning with urine (your own!!) kept the evil spirits out of the bore, so it would always shoot true!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks rws,I haven't heard of that one.
El D;mate,I make enough mess with the Sweets!!

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That must have called for a special bore guide design.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhilly66:
That must have called for a special bore guide design.

Called a funnel.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mix3006:
Thanks rws,I haven't heard of that one.
El D;mate,I make enough mess with the Sweets!!

Me too!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote