Find
Notify
Tools

Bluing Question...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I have an older gloss blued barreled action that needs rebluing and I'd like to get you fellas opinions.

The action still has great bluing but, the barrel has turned alittle lighter almost a bronze shade. I've reblued and blended the worn spots and it's nice and even but, I've been thinking of trying to get it back to original(or close) so the barrel and action match.

What do you suggest for the best route. I've touched up many rifles in the past but I've yet to do a total reblue and have my doubts of how it will turn out.

The only products I can get locally are the birchwood casey blue remover and the various bluing solutions they offer. How do you think these products will fare?

What other options do I have? I know I could send it off and have it reblued but, I'm not sure of the expense or which outfit would do the best job.

I'm not even opposed to turning it into a satin or matte finished look and probably would suit my needs better to tell the truth if it weren't so shiny. I've really gotten away from gloss finishes on nearly all of my rifles.

Thanks for any opinions.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers used to offer rebluing services on their own guns. I don't know if that's still the case but you might try that.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I recently contacted ruger about re-bluing a #1 and they charge $50 for any (ruger) rifle or pistol. that's a heck of a deal.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
I am assuming you are thinking about using a cold blue. They are not worth the effort on a gun that gets a lot of use. The blue will wear off with not much effort and will not look near as good as a commercial caustic blue.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic is right, cold blue will not stand up to any wear at all.

Nearly every gun that has come into my shop that someone had cold blued had quite a bit of rust. Evidently they are very prone to rust after such a treatment.

Wait untill you can put together enough bucks to have it professionally hot blued, you will be glad you did many times over.

Craftsman

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can save yourself some $'s if you do the prep/polish work youself. Most bluing shops have a "dip it only" price.
You might check www.hotflashrefinishing.com. I've used them before, nice work and a reasoable turn around time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a gunsmith that does quite a bit of bluing, I have a problem with guns that come it "stripped and ready to blue". If I quote the job without seeing it, invariably it comes in only 80-90% disassembled. The additional work is usually the most difficult, that's why the owner doesn't do it. More than half than come in need additional metal work before they are ready to blue. If the polishing or hand sanding on the gun looks like crap and I blue it anyway, guess who's name get's attached to the final result? I explain these things to the customer when they bring the work in. Many times they look at me like I'm crawfishing on the price I quoted. I now explain these problems upfront when the customer calls. Most of the time they'll say "you do it".

I have a few customers that do a lot of their own work and I would be proud to have them work on mine. If you don't know how far you need to go in prepping the metal, ask the man that's going to blue it. All problems can be handled but a little communicating from both sides helps.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all of the answers, keep em' coming.

quote:
Reloader,
I am assuming you are thinking about using a cold blue. They are not worth the effort on a gun that gets a lot of use.

Yes, I was thinking of cold blue and had my doubts of the durability. Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a trip off for a hot bluing job will probably be the ticket.

What's that going for these days?

I also thought of ordering Blue Wonder and trying the multi step process w/ heat application. It'd probably be a waste of time as well.

Thanks

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used to reblue as a part time business. Polishing is the hard part. But it is what makes the end produce look like a new rifle or junk. "Most" hobbiest can't polish to the point needed for a gloss blue. Before you hammer me I know some can. Hot blueing will only add color to the metal finish that exists when it is hung in the tank.

There are several locations that will give you a good quality gloss blue in the $100 range complete. Nice blead blast for even less. With prices like those available I sold my equipment and now farm out my blueing. Just not worth my time to do it myself.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote