Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South American.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we used to harvest black walnuts by the bushel full and hull them with a tractor and a trough, jack up one side and the trough sits under the spinning wheel. Pour the nuts in and it will remove the hulls and throw the nuts 30 feet away.
No one does that any more; at least I don't; let the squirrels have them, or rot away. We have lots of them. ]
But there is nothing like the taste.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have my grandparents old walnut sheller. Holding bin on top and large hand crank. Setting in the shed next to the corn sheller. Wink

They were OLD when I used them 60 years ago. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
When I was a kid we used to harvest black walnuts by the bushel full and hull them with a tractor and a trough, jack up one side and the trough sits under the spinning wheel. Pour the nuts in and it will remove the hulls and throw the nuts 30 feet away.
No one does that any more; at least I don't; let the squirrels have them, or rot away. We have lots of them. ]

Doggone it, I thought we were the only ones who did that! Where I grew up, outside Joliet, we had 2 very big (4'+ diameter) black walnut trees and a smaller one on our farm.
We fired up the old Farmall and let 'er rip.
A whole lot of fun.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We didn't have no factory sheller. But had lots of walnut trees. In WV.
You can use a jacked up pickup truck tire too. Works well.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ever try and start a hand crank Allis Chalmers in the winter?? shocker Hard for a 10-12 year old. Thought I broke my arm once when it kicked back Frowner

Granddad wouldn't let me us the either.

So the hand crank shellers were the option

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never tasted black walnut ice cream but will be going through 40 black walnut stock blanks next week. They were cut in 1972 and have been air drying in an out building. I hope they were quarter sawed.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were lots of black walnut orchards in Santa Clara (Silicon) Valley when I grew up there in the 50's. Walnut fights were a lot of fun, until you took a head shot.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Blue Bell makes some good black walnut ice cream. A little bit of that with a good cup of coffee makes a damn good desert. I also use them instead of pistachios in baklava.

Posts: 7516 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

And I bet if you forgot to put your gloves on you woke up the next morning and your hands were not a flesh color anymore.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
The perfect ingredients for spicing up that Black Walnut Ice Cream. Note the Alkanet root bag contains a sufficient amount.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Ever try and start a hand crank Allis Chalmers in the winter?? shocker Hard for a 10-12 year old. Thought I broke my arm once when it kicked back Frowner

Granddad wouldn't let me us the either.

So the hand crank shellers were the option

We had an old John Deer: Two horizontal cylinders. Start on gasoline, let it warm up, switch to diesel. Started by opening compression release valves, then taking a hearty grip on the flywheel and spinning by hand. The back side of the flywheel had finger grip grooves. Crankshaft was perpendicular to the length of the tractor, flywheel was about 4 feet off the ground. Cylinders on the aft side of the crank Strange looking engine, when under a load you could hear each individual cylinder fire. Thump, thump. It was a big machine and was a hoot to operate, almost like the street car drivers in San Francisco.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
We called them a Johnny popper

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a third generation black walnut tree that came from my parents home, which came from my grandparents home. I also gave a seedling to my son so he can eventually have walnuts.

As a child, we would gather them up and lay them in a row on the pavement. Then we would place a 2x10 board on them and my dad would slowly drive his truck on one end of the board. Slowly the nuts would start cracking. It would require quite a few trips backward and forward as we would move the board and gather the cracked nuts. Then came the task of picking the meat out. Lot of work for a taste of walnuts, but it was worth it... at least back then.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I collected a few pails last fall, husked them and buried them in a 3 foot circle about 4" deep. I now have a 3' circle of 1 foot tall seedlings I will dig up and plant next spring just as soon as the ground thaws. Probably 80 seedlings in there.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Man, I gotta get a black walnut tree.

Posts: 7516 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Then seeds in 12-15 years Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That bag of Alkanet root powder should last for a few hundred rifle stocks.

My DIY project was with dried root in big long flaking bits. I just infused the roots in BLO and also tried some in Mineral Spirits and IPA. I ended up mixing all 3 as there was not a lot of difference.

It is used by the craft shops to colour candles, soaps etc. Works on litmus principle - ranging from Red to Blue with variations of purple, pink etc. depending on pH.

quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
The perfect ingredients for spicing up that Black Walnut Ice Cream. Note the Alkanet root bag contains a sufficient amount.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had three big walnut trees in the yard when I was growing up in the '40's. We hulled them by leaving them in the driveway so the car would run over them. The local seed store would buy them by the keg. I don't remember ever selling any, however.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I heard Alkanet would make a beautiful stock. I carefully planted, fertilized, and watered but no matter what I tried I never could get any of that Alkanet root to sprout. I guess I'll just have to be happy with stocks made from walnut wood.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Then seeds in 12-15 years Wink

Yeah, I’m not really planting them for myself...but my 4 year old son might get use of them when he’s (much) older.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I inherited from my Grandfather (an excellent millwright woodworker) a Grandfather clock that he built in the 1940's. It is black walnut but the other interesting aspect of this is he cut down the tree himself + then milled all the lumber;also the tree was the one was that my Grandmother swung on when she was a little girl.This is a family heirloom with real heritage.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Could you post a photo of the clock?

Great story.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I inherited from my Grandfather (an excellent millwright woodworker) a Grandfather clock that he built in the 1940's. It is black walnut but the other interesting aspect of this is he cut down the tree himself + then milled all the lumber;also the tree was the one was that my Grandmother swung on when she was a little girl.This is a family heirloom with real heritage.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would feel honored to do so ,as well as a pic of my Grandfather in his dbl. breasted suit beside the clock right after it was built.Give me enough time to get my kids over to post photos.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Bobster

Lets see those blanks when you get to them.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a waste of Everclear, We used that in punch in my college days, Had a hell of a kick. Best I recall a 8 0z. glass to a washtub of punch..but not sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote