Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 700 Upgrades
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Looking for any advice on doing the following to upgrade my blueprinted 700 Long Action, McMillan Stock and Lilja barrel:

-Williams or Dakota bottom metal (don't want to spend $ for Blackburn or Sunny Hill)
-3 Position safety like Gentry. Does anyone else make one for the 700, Dakota, NECG?
-I would like to find a better magazine spring and steel follower, any suggestions?
-Install Winchester Super Grade style swivel bases. Front base I can use machine screws but what type screws should be used for the rear base install?
-Install new bolt handle, maybe longer and straight, more like a custom 98 style with panel checkering

If there is anything else I didn't mention but someone has tried let me know. I already have this action, so this is what I'm working with and hoping to dress it up a bit. Thanks.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jewel trigger!

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Got the trigger.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Williams guard assembly and a milled follower (.308/.243 size) I’ll sell you.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Rick,

What kind of shape is the bottom metal in? Blued or matte finish and is it nib or used. I need a full size follower for 30.06 length. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
Rick,

What kind of shape is the bottom metal in? Blued or matte finish and is it nib or used. I need a full size follower for 30.06 length. Thanks.

The bottom metal is new in the white, but for a SA.

You might check with Remington to see if they make the milled followers for standard calibers in long action size. I know they make them for the .308/.243 SA’s and for magnum long action calibers...part numbers# 90982 and 90952.

I’ve never had any problems with factory mag springs, and don’t know of anyone making aftermarket ones for 700’s.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick I may be interested if logistics is not to difficult.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote