New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard chrome finish....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who does the best combination of high quality and low price in chroming blued firearms? I'm hoping for a matte stainless look and I'm thinking about a couple Contender frames as likely candidates.

Thanks!

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think high quality and lowest price go together very wellFrowner

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know - it's the old story. "High quality, low price, fast delivery - Pick any 2"

But there's probably a happy medium in here somewhere, which is what I'm looking for. Maybe not the lowest price, but best bang for the buck. Maybe I should have said it like that. bewildered

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used CHECKMATE and Robar, not cheap but the product is first rate. The below Sig was done by CHECKMATE, it is a satin chrome finish

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Checkmate in Florida is the best hard chromer we've ever found! They do a wonderful job and can do mixed matt and high polish. I have never seen a case of washed out lettering or fouled up edges from them.

We have race guns done with high polish sides and matt edges and high plish sides. The they do gorgeous work.

I wouldn't trust work to anyone else regardless of the price.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checkmate is coming to the fore here....

Anybody got a website? I'm going to DAGS now...

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
http://www.checkmateindustries.com/

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh....thank you. My search so far had yielded only checkmatecustom.com which is definitely not the right site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....perhaps I spoke too soon. I can't find any reference on that site to hard-chroming or other finishing services.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Armoloy also offers a form of hard chroming. I have had several rifles done in it 20 years ago. It has held up very nicely

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Google "Checkmate refinishing"

Several articles and an address.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. I DID Google that and the site that keeps coming up is http://www.checkmatecustom.com

Surely that's not right?