Find
Notify
Tools

Shell won`t chamber in my Browning A-5
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted
I have a Browning A-5 that has trouble chamber rounds.After the first round is chambered and fired the second shell comes half way out of the feeding tube and the shell carier blocks it from comeing out and going up into the chamber.Can anyone help?

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Yotecaller---

It sounds like the primary shell stop is not working. The gun needs timing.

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
Hi JBelk,So what is the fix for this?Do I need new parts or do I have to send to a Gunsmith?Thanks YC

<JBelk>
posted
yotecaller---

In all truthfullness, if I could accurately diagnos A-5 feeding problems by long distance I'd be a jillionaire. [Smile]

It takes a handful of dummies and a wall to push against to study what it's doing and what it's not doing. It could be as simple as a weed seed behind the action bar lock release or as expensive and complicated as a worn out activator slot on the barrel extension.

The A-5 was John M. Brownings hardest to perfect design and the one, of hundreds, of which he was most proud.

Only one more complicated design comes to mind, the Model 1897 Winchester.

You need a gunsmith.

A good one.

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I fixed it today.I moved the brass ring under the forearm up to the reveiver and cleaned and lubed the mag tube and it works great.Thanks for the replies.

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
If I remember my Light Twelve correctly the brass braking ring can be put in in two orientations. One for heavy loads one for light. Just turn it over. Putting it next to the reciever will remove all of it's braking and can possibly cause damage with heavier loads. It's your gun, do what you will...but I wouldn't keep it that way. I would suspect that you hat it turned to the heavy load side and were shooting light loads..With a possibility of insufficent lube or a rough mag tube.

Just my thoughts on it. Like has been said, long distance trouobleshooting is akin to the paranormal.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote