Find
Notify
Tools

New M-98 action critique---edited
 Login/Join

<JBelk>
posted
New Mauser action----

Last week before leaving for Colorado I received one of the new Italian marketed Model 98 Mausers from a customer. It's very lightly marked with the "peron" mark of Belgium. I assume that means at least the receiver is made there.

<<<<edit---- The customer tells me this one is an Armour International action, but the actions seem the same except for the degree and amount of finishing.>>>>>>>

I was severely disappointed in some parts and pleased at others. A few observations after seeing an additional three actions from the same maker while in Colorado.

These action show promise and will undoubtedly be the foundation of many custom rifles. The shape is very good with a "double square bridge" receiver, straddle floorplate with a commercial-style, inside the bow release. The box is milled and no shortcuts were taken in the interior dimensions. The floor plate is badly fitted, but most won't notice.......it's a small point. They "look" like a nice M-98 with many commercial or custom features.....they aren't.

The action comes with a 3 position safety but no trigger.......

<<<<<=edit--- It DID come with a trigger but it was removed before being sent on to me. Sorry 'bout that.>>>>>>

The safety is very well machined and the heat treat seems to me adequate. Unfortunately the bottom portion of the safety that rides on the rear tang is cut wrong and allows the otherwise fine safety to wobble and lean. That's a shame. There isn't a cure for it. They screwed up.

The receiver is dovetailed for a, so-far unknown, scope ring. The odd part is that the front and rear are <b>different</b> dimensions! The GOOD part is that both can be recut for Talleys.

The ejector box is salvageable but not worth the time it would take to do it. I suggest tossing it in a drawer for a decade or two.

The major gripe

<<<<<Edit--- I missed #1 in my mental notes!
The gas seal is completely missing in the split locking lug. It's a very small detail that keeps a jet of hot gas from squirting out of the bolt/front receiver ring junction if a primer blows. It can blind you!!!.>>>>>

Some idiot had NO idea how a M98 is supposed to operate when they designed this action.......then it was compounded by bad workmanship.

The entire bolt body and extractor should be scrapped and new parts installed. I predict some VERY serious problems to result from these actions if used as supplied.

A M-98 extractor (and other long extractor actions) are held to the bolt in two ways. One is the very obvious collar with the "T" legs that engage with a corresponding slot in the bottom of the extractor.........the other is harder to see but just as important. The groove that circles more than half of the bolt head has a slight undercut angle to the forward surface. There's also a matching angle on the guide rib of the extractor that serves to PULL the extractor closer to the bolt and the cartridge head as force is exerted to the rear.
This action DOESN'T have that angle !!!!!! The extractor guide rib is not only not angled, it's also badly fitted with almost NO support under extraction. This is DANGEROUS for a dangerous game gun and the worst "out of the box" defect in design I've ever seen on a new M-98 action. I rate it as more dangerous to the shooter than the bad heat-treat of the early Santa Barbara actions.

The good news is that most military bolts and extractors fit just fine.

Something that is pretty funny about these actions is the emphasis placed on "lapped locking lugs". The bolt lugs have been lapped square outside the action.......the lug recesses in the receiver looks like it was machined by a beaver and is totally out of square. I guess it's a marketing thing and just pi$$es me OFF!! They spent time doing a job that *sounds* good but is actually totally wasted if the receiver isn't machined right to begin with.

Just in case somebody wants to use the original bolt-----the one I have here and one I measured in Colorado are tapered by .005 inch!! They don't fit well and, as noted above, should be scrapped anyhow. The bolt and extractor are NOT salvageable.

To be useable and safe the action needs a new bolt, extractor, and extractor collar. It also needs a trigger. The action is drilled and tapped for scope bases as well as the odd-ball dovetailing. The front and rear bridges are level so no special mount is needed.....a Weaver base for a Marlin 336 should work if re-drilled to match the holes.
The interior of the action must be re-machined to fit the new bolt and then lapped. The safety must be fitted to the new bolt.

To be a fine action all the above will have to be done and also the floorplate replaced, safety replaced, the ejector box replaced and everything polished and re-fitted. The front tang of the bottom metal should have a draft cut on it before stocking, too. It has none.

I would be tempted to buy one of these and throw everything away but the receiver, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend the bucks for just that one useable part.

[ 07-29-2002, 02:30: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

Do you happen to know what the cost was on the action? Have you estimated what it would cost to "fix" it? [Frown]

thanks...

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, thanks for the warning, I certainly will avoid this action. I was thinking of ordering one for inspection purposes, but you comments have saved me some $$$ and time.

There is no substitute for quality.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jack. More proof that any deal that sounds too good to be true......

I hope someone sends you an EAA/Brno-bargain so that you can closely examine that one too.

Also, I could use some help identifying a magnum length mauser action. It has two Belgian proofs on the left side of the ring along with an S with a * over it. Serial number on the right side. It has a straight left wall, dual extractor cuts, and was originally drilled and tapped (now a square bridge). No identifiable marks underneath. It is currently part of a .404 Jeff with E. Atkinson, Astoria, OR on the barrel. I'll e-mail you a pic.

[ 07-29-2002, 04:08: Message edited by: KurtC ]

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Can anyone say JUNK?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote