Find
Notify
Tools

Dent in my Kimber 8400 7mm WSM stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
My new second hand unfired Kimber has a dent in the stock below the rear bridge of the action half way down the right hand side of the stock. About the size of my little finger nail.

It looks like it was caused by something sharp and heavy being dropped on it, but cannot confirm this. The outside shell has cracked down to the foam.

I guess the best course of action is to remove the broken stock material then fill, then carefully sand to seemlessely match the rest of the stock, but I'll have to get the whole stock re-done as I won't be able to colour match the repair to the rest of the stock.

Which brings me to my question, what epoxy would you recommend I use to do the repair?

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little dab of J-B Weld.
That will be a 2 minute repair. Allow 4 to 6 hours before handling,
less if you just want to leave a thumb print on it.
That would be a nice personalizing touch, a "memory spot." Wink
It's gray and so is your Kimber stock, eh?

Krikey! It's a synthetic, and who cares if it has a little patched-up ding in it.
Adds character.
Do something creative with it like a map of New Zealand or a smiley face. Wink

Remember the 404 Jeffery with the map of Africa and the J-B Weld camo? Cool
That brown Precision stock was rebuilt from short action to long action by yours truly.
It has taken a pounding and the finish is hard as steel.
It cannot be improved upon. I would never dream of trying to pretty it up. hilbily

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Ah yes the very accurate .404 'Sheep Rifle'

What is the longest range that you have shot your .404 out to, and how do you think it compares in trajectory with the 416's?

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just 300 yards with the 404 Jeffery, sub MOA for three shots with 340-grain North Forks at 2706 fps MV.

I have hit a deer in the brisket with a .416 Rigby at 342 yards, with 350-grain Barnes XFB at about same 2700 fps MV.
I shot too low, but the deer died.

Merely academic differences in trajectory between the 404 Jeffery and the .416 Rigby.
You can pick your bullet to shade one or the other, which ever is your pet.

Geez! I gotta come up with some new material, soon as the heat abates and I can do some "new shooting!" wave

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote