Find
Notify
Tools

Adding Half Cock to CZ 527 bolt gun ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted
Do any members have any knowledge how a half cock could be fitted to a CZ 527 rifle ?

Can't find any thing on the net

Thanks

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The term "half-cock" refers to action types that have actual hammers, the "half-cock" notch is a form of safety where the trigger cannot release the hammer from the half-cock notch. You pull the hammer back and half-way of the total hammer travel there is a notch the trigger sear falls into that pulling the trigger doesn't let the trigger (or hammer) move. Then you pull the hammer all the way back and the gun will fire when the trigger is pulled. Typically found on lever action rifles, single action revolvers and some single-shots. Today's designs mostly have dropped the half-cock notch in favor of a safety design that simply blocks the trigger from moving or blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin.
Bolt-actions use just a firing pin with sear and spring, no hammer involved. While I suppose one could design a form of bolt action that had an actual hammer hitting the back of the firing pin to ignite the cartridge, I don't think this has ever been done.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Well thank you for the reply & going to the trouble to post it but you are very incorrect, half cock nocthes are found on many bolt rifles, this is where the bolt is half open & held by a indent or notch .

The SMLE, Remington Lee, & others have a half cock on there bolts also !

I don't use the half cock myself but many hunters in Australia & New Zealand use this feature, maybe because we used the Lee Enfield so much in the early days & many English sporters base on the Lee action had only a half cock for a safety !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had a teenager that went off half cocked all the time. Wink

Curious as to how you would work a SMLE type safety. I know a lot of people don't care for the "reversed" as we call it safety. I "thought" at one time an after market company was making a M70 type 3 position bolt safety for the CZ527.

Probably remember wrong and just wishful thinking.

Good luck with your question.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, definitely there are half cock safeties on SMLES and all their variations; from the original Sharps Lee, which is the first maker if it; not Remington.
Anyway, it could be done, but you need a cocking piece that you can grab and pull back to full cock. The real problem in putting it on a Mauser type action is that the sear is not angled to be set into a cocking piece notch, although it could be. I you want one installed, let me know.
Nothing wrong with the SMLE left side safety, at all. Back is safe and forward is fire, just like most everything else.
No Model 70 safety was made for the SMLEs; they have a fine safety as is. Nothing to put it on anyway; they do not have bolt shrouds like Mauser derivatives do.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you again for replies, I think I need to tell you how hunters use half cock here, they hunt with the bolt half open on the cocking point but the bolt is held open by some means & held slightly from closing also, they don't use the safety at all !

Early types of Lee Enfields/Metfords had a safety on the bolt head, some none at all, just the half cock notch, then just pull the head fully back !

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a half open bolt feature that Sarg is looking for. Shouldn't be called half cock which is a feature on some hammer guns and also bolt guns with a cocking piece that can be pulled back by hand to a half cock safety position.

The half open bolt is a common method (officially promoted firearms safety method) used here in NZ. Some firearms dealers offer the modification on new Tikkas etc. The bolt is not actually half open except for cock on closing actions but on the cock on opening actions the bolt handle is up and a detent stops the bolt from sliding open.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why not just use the safety?
I have never heard of this and don't understand why it would be necessary.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why not just use the safety?
I have never heard of this and don't understand why it would be necessary.

Because there are enough idiots around who don't know whether their safety is on or off half the time or whether the safety even works. If with other hunters I like to see that the rifle is in a safe mode, bolt handle up I can see, safety on or off I can't.

Even when on my own I have a greater safety margin if carrying a round in the chamber with a "half open bolt", if I take trip, tumble or slide. Many safeties today only lock the trigger and not the firing pin so a dropped rifle or fall with one could see an AD.

When hunting in the sort of country in the photo below (was there earlier this year) where a good trophy or even just a meat animal can step out in view at any time I sure ain't walking with a loaded rifle and safety on. It's half open bolt for me every time, just as quick and silent to close and shoot as using a safety.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I understand about the idiot clients; just never saw it.
The easiest way would be to install a spring loaded detent for the bolt; instead of messing with the cocking cams or sears.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you, yes I was thinking a indent is the way to go, just not a lot of meat on these little actions to get it where it needs to be, so was thinking some one might have done it before or knew a trick some how .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always considered it one of the advantages the old hammer rifle designs had over a modern bolt action, a simple glance would confirm that the rifle was on half-cock and therefore "on safe", yet simply finish cocking the hammer and the gun could fire. Never heard about bolt actions that had the same capability; while I have a MK V Lee Enfield, its condition really shows that it went through a war in the jungle and I have never fired it myself.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I don't use the safety on any of my hunting rifles. I leave the safety off because t don't load a round until I see what I want to shoot. Has worked for me for over 40 years so far and I don't need to modify anything.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I leave the safety off because t don't load a round until I see what I want to shoot. Has worked for me for over 40 years so far and I don't need to modify anything.

tu2

For a while I had a round in the chamber but I didn't cock the rifle. Then it hit me I had the firing pin sitting against the primer of a live round. Roll Eyes So the rifle no longer had a round in the chamber.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I leave the safety off because t don't load a round until I see what I want to shoot. Has worked for me for over 40 years so far and I don't need to modify anything.

tu2

For a while I had a round in the chamber but I didn't cock the rifle. Then it hit me I had the firing pin sitting against the primer of a live round. Roll Eyes So the rifle no longer had a round in the chamber.

Glad you have figured this out. One of my staff had an AD when carrying his rifle uncocked with a round in the chamber. He tripped in a creek bed with the muzzle hitting hard into a rock and the inertia of the cocking piece and firing pin fired the cartridge. The left side of his face, and body was splattered by bullet and rock a piece of which went through his eyeball fortunately missing the iris so his sight was restored to a degree. He made it back to his camp drove to a farm house for help and was medivaced out by chopper.
Was a long recovery for him, arm, leg and torso took a beating.

Definite no no for carrying a firearm with one in the chamber

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I don't use the safety on any of my hunting rifles. I leave the safety off because t don't load a round until I see what I want to shoot. Has worked for me for over 40 years so far and I don't need to modify anything.

Just depends on what type of hunting one does I have shot many deer that would have gotten away if I would have had to chamber a round.

Thick brush and swamp country is a whole lot different hunting then open areas.

Then there is shooting flushing birds if one had to chamber around every time you had to shoot a flushing bird one would hardly get one.

How would one hunt with a single or double gun oh wait mister buck or bird while I load this thing.

Yes stuff happens one needs to decide what is reason able for each hunting situation.

Having a blanket policy well not work in every situation.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just depends on what type of hunting one does

I agree with you 100%. Yep shotgun locked and loaded ready to hit the safety and fire. I hunted heavy brush in LA no way you left your stand in those woods.

Deer blind in TX often gun is out the widow laying on sand bags depending on how close the shooting lane is makes a difference as to one in the chamber on safe or sometimes in those case bolt simply open ready to close.

But in areas like the picture above the rifle doesn't have one in the chamber. Never lost a shot because of it in those conditions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K