New
Find
Notify
Tools

O/U Rifle
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Any of these made in "production". I remember Valmet but is there anything else out there.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Beretta makes one. I think it's available in calibers up to .458 and possibly 500 Nitro Express. It's quite expensive, but less than their SxS double rifle. I once asked someone at the Beretta showroom why the O/U is less than the SxS, and was told that the O/U is easier to regulate. I have no idea whether that is correct.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe CZ makes one in 458WinMag (and a few other cals). Also I saw in the new Charles Daly catalogue an o/u rifle in 30/06 (only).

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was recently at the Cabelas in southern Michigan and I swear there was an o/u chambered in 30-06 and it was a RUGER. It was engraved and had gold inlays. Did Ruger do this or was it a custom? I didn't get to look for very long as my girlfriend was tired of me dragging her around the store.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka makes a new version of the Valmet, krieghoff (sp?) in Europe builds some I believe. Also Beretta. Hope this helps - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Browning used to make a o&u 30-06

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Browning still makes o/u rifles in several rimmed and rimless calibers, based on 20 gauge receivers (probably from Miroku). However they're not of the same quality as the original B 25 actions which are handmade but then, they only cost a fraction of the real McKoy's price. Here's my engraved (and signed) original FN-Browning in 9,3x74R + Swarovski 1,25-4x24 in claw mounts

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andr� Mertens:
Here's my engraved (and signed) original FN-Browning in 9,3x74R + Swarovski 1,25-4x24 in claw mounts.

That's a handsome and very attractive piece!

To my eye, however, the scope seems to be mounted quite far back. Is that because the eye relief on the Swarovski scope is so short?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The scope has about 3" of eye relief and, also, it's a rifle that's meant to be shot offhand at running game in drive hunts.
Here's a close up of the scope mounting :

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote