Find
Notify
Tools

Hart barrel on early Factory 700?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I recently acquired a Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum. The rifle is pre series with a serial number in the 337,000 range. Bolt, safety, and trigger are the old style and finished quite nicely. The barrel is blued, however, it is marked "Stainless Steel" under 7mm Magnum. On the other side of the barrel is a an upside down heart. Not looks like a heart, but rather a very easy to discern heart. Does this signify a Hart contract barrel or something else? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Hart suppied those barrels to Rem. I have an earlly 7mag. also with a ss barrel. I will say the barrel is very smooth ,accurate, and fast. In it a load of R22 with a 160 Nosler part. turns up 3180fps. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Those early Model 700s are great rifles, and those older 7mm Remington Magnums were (as a rule) wonderfully accurate. They were made with care from start to finish and are far superior to the current product.

The barrel on your rifle is was made by Remington in-house and was button rifled. The "heart" stamping you see is an inspectors mark, and does not designate the barrel of the great Hart barrel company.

AD