New
Find
Notify
Tools

How difficult is trueing a MK V action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a MK V action, that I would like to true up and wring what performance I can out of it. It has been rebarreled in 6.5-06AI, and I would like to see if I can get it down to shooting small groups. The person I got it from, told me it had only been rebarreled, as he didn't want to spend the money. Trigger breaks nice and light too.

also, how will the "ring" that was placed in the boltface to grab the 06 case affect accuracy?

thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would depend entirely on how far you wanted to go in "truing".
The setup is not much more difficult than with any other action. Recutting of the threads is a bit of a pain due to the inner collar. It is unlikely it would be worth the effort unless the action is seriously defective.
A boltface bushing will have no effect whatsoever on accuracy unless it is a poor job of installation. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

So, do you think that squaring the bolt face and receiver face would be worth the money?

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When rebarrelling a MkV it is normal to measure from the receiver face to the inner step to ensure that they are equidistant at all points. At the same time measurements are taken to the bolt face to determine the same thing. To tell the truth, all of the MkV's I have checked have been remarkably good. So I would say to check it and correct if neccessary. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill.