New
Find
Notify
Tools

Escutcheon??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I find this on the Brown Precision site (about action fit into one of their stocks):

Quote:

(Remington Model) 600 (Must use a 700 trigger guard and escutcheon)

What on earth is an "escutcheon", and where does that sit on a M700??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Early ancestors of the Greeks. How the hell you get one in a Mod 70 is beyond me. I thought they came in wooden horses.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho-

The "escutcheon" is simply a spacer that you need for the front action screw. The stocks that Brown Precision make for the 600 Remingtons are made with a recess on the bottom of the stock about 1/2" in diameter, and about that deep, where the front screw goes. The escutcheon will fill this space so that the screw will tighten.

I have two of these stocks (one is standard F/G, the other is the Kevlar reinforced model). I pillar-bedded them with pillars long enough that did not require the escutcheon. (The rear pillars in the 600 require "customizing" to clear the trigger.) This is one of the differences in the 600 and the later Model 7, The former will make up into about 3/8 to 1/2" shorter gun than the latter with the same LOP and barrel length.

About the trigger guard- I like to reverse the 700 ADL guard and epoxy it in place on the 600. The front (was the rear) screw hole is cut off so that the rear (was the front) hole will line up to accept the rear action screw. It is then epoxied in place and becomes a permanent part of the stock.

Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Bob! The amount of information available in here never ceases to amaze me.
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bless You!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho,
Washer is another name for it in some situations.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is actual telephone call, accidentally recorded by one of the On*Star operators:

Customer: Mr. Worthing, I need to have a Brown Precision stock installed on my Remington 600. Do you work with synthetics?

Chic: Do I work with synthetics? Absolutely! I hate wood! You do know you'll need a 700 trigger guard, don't you.

Customer: Yep, got it right here.

Chic: Do you want me to use a washer or an escutcheon?

Customer: What's the difference?

Chic: About $75.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn, you gave Chic's secret away! A dead sure extra $75 otherwise
- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
belaw,
Thanks for the chuckle. Now why aren't I rich. Probably need more washers, errrr, I mean the other things.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You fit 50 cent washers in place of $75 escutcheons.
You will never get rich like that, just make a lot of friends.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

escutcheon, from the Latin scutum - shield. It's the protective plate around a hole. Or yes, a fancy name for a washer!!!

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote