New
Find
Notify
Tools

fixing a screw up???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering......if a chamber was cut with a throat that was too long (new Krieger barrel).....what are the potential problems with setting it back and recutting the chamber with the same reamer after having it re-ground to desired throat dimensions???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GonHuntin:
Just wondering......if a chamber was cut with a throat that was too long (new Krieger barrel).....what are the potential problems with setting it back and recutting the chamber with the same reamer after having it re-ground to desired throat dimensions???

Assuming you get the barreled dialed back in, there should be no problems.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have had to do this very thing. It should be no problem for you, but as Malm said, it has to be dialed in and perhaps re-bedded into the stock.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a brand new barrel that the gunsmith cut the throat 56 thousandths too long......was suppose to be cut so that the bullet in the supplied sample round would touch lands (at 2.8" OAL)......

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GonHuntin:
This is a brand new barrel that the gunsmith cut the throat 56 thousandths too long......was suppose to be cut so that the bullet in the supplied sample round would touch lands (at 2.8" OAL)......

I would put it together & shoot it first. You never know might be the magic leade for that 1 hole rifle! Big Grin

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering...what round were you aiming for? If a wildcat, all rules are out the window, but say you ordered a 30-06 with a shorter than SAAMI throat.....This now is NOT a 30-06! All gunsmiths have to look over their shoulder...trying to please a customer and at the same time doing a legally defensible job of chambering. A well known reamer company once used what they called a "Universal leed angle"...this sometimes resulted in a shorter and sometimes a longer throat..yet they advertised "to SAAMI specs" pure BS! I had personal disasters with a number of 270 Win's...I thought I couldn't make an accurate 270 if my life depended on it...finally got it doped out , threw away the reamer and purchased reamer that turned out to have a SHORTER than SAAMI throat...turns out, I can't hardly build a 270 that won't shoot tiny groups, When I found out, I issued a "recall", but not one customer would let me modify the chamber that is realistically NOT SAAMI specs..go figure! I agree...shoot it first

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I ordered a 7 SAUM, I was told the smith had a "zero free bore" reamer...... said I would be able to touch lands with a 160 Accubond loaded to 2.8" OAL....I supplied a sample round loaded as specified....turns out the reamer isn't zero free bore and my 160 Accubond loaded at 2.8" OAL is 56 thousandths away from the lands (per smith's measurements).....clearly not what was ordered and promised......no way I can touch lands and stay within mag length.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you have a specific caliber in mind in the future, seek a smith who cuts the throats separate. One size don't fit all. Fixed throat reamers suck. Smiler

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep.....I thought that's what I was getting.....if I had known I'd end up with a standard SAAMI chamber, I'd have let a local smith build it......

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first, I have a Wby with the typically long throat that will shoot 1/2 MOA. Although, if the Smith didn't deliver as promised, he should hold a spot for you to fix the problem at no cost. The only issue that could come up would be that the barrel will be set back in the barrel channel.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not interested in shooting it first, I WILL NOT accept the rifle as it is......it's not what I wanted......why bother building a custom rifle if you don't end up with what you wanted??? The smith is not local and I see no reason for him to return the rifle to me until it is the way I want it........

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Setting back the barrel and recutting the chamber with the correct reamer would not be a big deal. You should get what you agreed to and paid for; nothing else should be acceptable.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Setting the barrel back should present no problem. But just in case it does, perhaps something written stating that the smith will supply a new barrel of same manufacture if you are not satisfied with the rechambering. He should have no problem with this since it was his screw up in the first place.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If he sets it back and chambers it properly, then TOOMANY TOOLS might have said a mouthful when he said
quote:
perhaps re-bedded into the stock

If it is a more custom rifle with the bedding done properly, there may be a gap (albeit small) between stock and barrel shank now where it was set back.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We reached a solution......chamber stays as is and he will be installing a Wyatt extended mag box with custom follower and will perfect the feeding.....he is covering the cost. This gives me the advantage of being able to chase the lands as the throat wears......best solution under the circumstances......