Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Superposed rib repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
I have a 1965 Browning Superposed where the rib has broken loose. I guess the rib was soft soldered. Would that sort of repair require that the barrels be reblued?

Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes.

Call Midwest gun works. They are the expert

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Back 20 years ago when we were doing Browning warranty. We used to send them to the repair depot in Morgan and they used to relaminate and reblue them for next to nothing. If memory serves it was $100 back then. We used to charge $100 just to reblue an 870 Wingmaster back then. It might be worth sending them an email to see what they say.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
A common problem with superposed. I've relayed a few, bluing is required for a proper job. And if you're having the top done you might as well do the sides too!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've also relayed a couple, but I won't do it without rebluing so it's a pretty expensive job.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 've seen the late Wm Nittler pull off a "patch" job, but he was pretty much of a wizard. He'd hammer a piece of solder paper thin, clean the joint as much as possible, a little flux and slip the solder strip in place and carefully apply heat.

Never tried the pre mixed solder/flux Might be worth a try

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or some Black Max

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midwest gunworks in Pevely Mo is I believe an authorized Browning repair center. They've replaced the firing pins & springs/rebuilt the "guts of my 61 superposed and fit a second set of barrels on my win #23 . All with quick turnaround and no issues.
'

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done spot soldering as Duane describes quite often and do not claim to be a wizard. The smaller the area and the cleaner/fresher the separation, the easier it is to do a quality spot repair that will hold up. I made up some specially turned copper rods on a threaded shaft that closely fit the bore diameter so I can apply the heat from the inside of the bore and do not have to worry about burning the rosin flux. If you try the BlackMax you will be in for a full rib re-lay.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a curiosity. The guys at Brownings, Morgan repair station relamininated them in the traditional fashion with wire, wood wedges and used cartridge heaters to heat the bores from the inside. At one time I looked into purchasing some cartridge heaters, but then I fell down and hit my head several times and realized that I did enough stupid crap without getting into relaminating shotgun ribs.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Art's Gun Shop, he is the Superposed expert, worked at Browning for years. I just got a reworked Superposed from him and it is perfect.
His website has several video, one of which is resoldering the ribs and it is quite labor intensive.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Midwest Gun Works, they do great work.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I 've seen the late Wm Nittler pull off a "patch" job, but he was pretty much of a wizard. He'd hammer a piece of solder paper thin, clean the joint as much as possible, a little flux and slip the solder strip in place and carefully apply heat.

That is wizardry. I'd buy a ticket to see it!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art's Gun Shop website and videos are very interesting. He and three sons refurbish guns and have an extensive inventory for sale. They are SW of Arnold, MO, where Browning repair service is located, near St. Louis. Thanks SRT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fell down and hit my head several times and realized that I did enough stupid crap

tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
I fell down and hit my head several times and realized that I did enough stupid crap

tu2 tu2 tu2

It actually sounds really cool to be able to offer a service like that and I have thought about it many times. Especially when we were doing Browning warranty because we had the guys at the repair station in Morgan that would have supported us by helping us with the technical advice and where to get the supplies. The problem is that there would be an easy two to three days involved by the time you did triage, de-laminated the barrels, got the barrels tacked, went to the range to regulate them, re-laminated them, polished, rust blued and then egress. Three days at a MINIMUM $300 a day CAD or $230 USD is pretty much just making wages and expenses with no profit back to the shop. That's a pretty hard pill to swallow. I really do commend the people that take the time to learn and do it. But I think you would have to offer it as a labor of love, not a business venture. I know for a fact I would have a hard time convincing someone here in Canada that it is worth his while to re-laminated his old double for $700 to $900 CAD. Especially considering that most of those old, lead soldered guns are not steel compatible. Back, 25 years ago when we were sending Superposed shotguns back to Morgan it was costing about $300 CAD to re-laminate plus $150 for us to mule it to the USA and probably 90% of the people who inquired about the service declined to go through with it.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if the ACGG still offers it, but there was a video and booklet showing some of Nittler's techniques. There is also a full size drawing to his fixtures to clamp ribs.

He'd flux everything, clamp it all up tight, then heat from the inside with two pronged torch

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I made a set of six clamps based on the Nitler design. I tried putting together a long double torch but just couldn't get it to work so I heat from the outside.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote