Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Mag - Open sights - what to do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I have just committed to a new in box CZ 550 Mag Kevlar stock rifle in 416 Rigby.

When I mount the gun I cannot see the foresight bead. I also do not like the white line below the"V" of the rear sight leaves.

Question:
What are my options?

Choices:
Have a jeweller solder a gold bead on the foresight & install platinum wire in the grooves below the "V"
Replace both fore & rear sights with NECG or similar
Any other option? Please specify with reasons.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make the stock fit you better first before you alter the sights.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, most plastic stocks are designed for scope use, not enough drop in the butt.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
Face it... your eyes (I'm assuming) aren't those of an 18yr. old!

You can fall down the stairs, one step at a time, or you can just face the facts- pull the rear sights and replace them with a blank and get a peep sight for the rear.

Note: I had my CZ's bridges modified/machined to accept Talley rings because I was tired of the limited options the CZ proprietary mount design, left me with. When I decided to use a peep sight, for my old(er) eyes, the modification made my transition, a markedly easier one. The rear peep sight displayed, is made by Talley (for their mounts) and commercially available.

Good luck!

Nice lean rig, who did the mods?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I have just committed to a new in box CZ 550 Mag Kevlar stock rifle in 416 Rigby.

When I mount the gun I cannot see the foresight bead. I also do not like the white line below the"V" of the rear sight leaves.

Put the CZ550 back in the box and take the Mauser 404 tu2
The traditional safari style rear sight has silver inlaid lines, I prefer and have a flat top post front sight on my 404, don't like a bead.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am keeping the CZ mate. I know that 404J is an awesome rifle and I was very tempted. Finally I just had to make a call.

I found Brownells have nice fore sight as well as a ghost ring & a barrel band sling stud. All those will make a BIG improvement.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...sight-prod24836.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...sight-prod25885.aspx

The Gentry barrel band looks better than the Talley - just peronal preferance.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a scope or red dot.

Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes I have put Warne QD rings & a 1-4X Leupold. But I do want a good woring peep sight & I will get the NECGs.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I can only say get a stock that fits with iron sights. My 550 416Rigby has a 21" barrel and the original rear sight. I replaced the front ramp with a NECG Masterpiece which has an adjustable (for elevation) front sight . I use the red fiberoptic sight. I also installed a barrel band front swivel base. The stock is one of the original Brockman Laminates with no cheekpiece. Perfect with Irons and works well with the Swarovski 1.5 x 4 in CZ rings. Worked well on my last elephant.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote