New
Find
Notify
Tools

snythetic stock for sheep/goat hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
all: converting wooden stock win mod 70 in .300 wby to synthetic stock for sheep and mt goat hunts. all my rifles are wooden stock glass bedded but for these hunts i am thinking and have been told that synthetic is the way to go. not terribly concerned about weight more concerned about accuracy and standing up to the rain on a sheep hunt and water from boating (goat hunt). would like something that matches contour of original wood stock. will have gunsmith do the swap. any pointers on what to look for? Thanks, Paul W.

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan has some stocks that match Winchester factory profiles (Supergrade, etc): I would give them a look. Their quality is excellent and they are great to work with. Current lead time is 3-4 months.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Lone Wolf Riflestocks, Columbia Falls, Mt. They made a stock for a 338 win mag, ruger #1 for me that is outstanding.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High Tech Specialties is another quality stock.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can get an Echols/Mcmillan, that'd be my choice. I have one in waiting for a 338 WM 70 SS. It is impressive. D'Arcy post them for sale on this site, sometimes.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, guys, for the replys. i looked at a mcmillan at the gun smiths. very nice but a little out of my price range. i went for another stock that the gunsmith had an example of. thanks again. paul w

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about HS PRECISION STOCKS? are they rated pretty good?

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote