New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby 284
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would it be possible to convert a 270 action to accept the 284 case. The action is a weatherby in 270 win and I am thinking of 6.5x284. Cheers

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on fellas with all the gurus here I thought one of you's would be able to help us out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sure. no mods at all except maybe a small block in the magazine if you are loading small 6.5's. if shooting the bigger bullets and they are close to 270 oal then there should be no problems. just a rebarrel should do ya'.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think whether you have a Vanguard action or a "6 lug Mark V" a 6.5-284 should fit right in. You will have plenty of magazine length.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day P.S,
I would check and see if some loaded 6.5-284 rounds actually feed properly from the magazine before getting the barrel changed.
I assume it will be O.K but it's cheaper to check first and the chubby 284 case may not want to play along.
Maybe a 6.5-06 may be an option if the 6.5-284 does not work out.

Good luck,

Regards,
Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Fellas it's given me something to go on with now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS, feeding problems may give you more of a headache than magazine length ever will. The rebated wide case on the 284 has been known to create some serious problems. The hard part is finding a gunsmith that knows what he is doing it modifying the feed rails to make it function.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
PS, feeding problems may give you more of a headache than magazine length ever will. The rebated wide case on the 284 has been known to create some serious problems. The hard part is finding a gunsmith that knows what he is doing it modifying the feed rails to make it function.

My 6mm-284 feeds all right if I don't hurry matters, but the rifle is currently in a single-shot 40X stock with a homemade plate under the receiver. I kind of like it, even though the synthetic stock with bedding block is probably a better stock, technically.

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote