New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to smooth a rouogh action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hope this question has not been asked too many times. I have a Win Safari express-.375H&H. The bolt sliding without locking the cam is very rough. I have graphite and several grades of very fine polishing compound (600-8000). Not sure how to proceed. How course can I start with? How fine should I go? Correct me if I am wrong, but I should never cam the action while honing right?
Thanks,
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Have you tried just working the action several hundred times with no abrasives at all, while watching TV? Works for me. Usually only takes 500-600 or so complete full opening/complete closing strokes. No big cleanup afterwards.

Be sure to grease the cocking cams and the backs of the locking lugs a minute amount first....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No gunsmith here but I usually put Tetra Gun grease on the bolt and work it a bit (a hundred cycles or so?), clean off the grease, reapply the grease and continue to work the bolt and continue the process until headway is made. I clean and lube the bolt when the lube goes gray.

Hope this helps!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
What I have found works great for rough action is to take a small amount of polishing compound (a fine grit)adn mix it in with 4 times the amount of high pressure/hinge grease. I mix the concoctin in my palm (the heatmakes mixing it easier. Then I apply a small amount to the rails and contact surfaces and proceed to work the action. I do this with finer grits until it is silky smooth.

I am not a gunsmith but was shown told to do this by one.

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulbwerks:

I am not a gunsmith but was shown told to do this by one.

Not a very good one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pepsodent toothpaste

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drew,

If you apply a polishing compound to BOTH the rails AND the locking lugs; especially the back or rear area of the locking lugs and cycle the bolt completly (closing & opening it) you will; to whatever degree create headspace, even if only a minute amount.

Polishing compunds should therefore be avoided at all costs on the rear of the locking lugs unless you want the desired result.

For polishing the RAILS ONLY (simply sliding the bolt back & forth WITHOUT closing the bolt) on the few rifles that have required such treatment; I use a couple of drops (less is better) CLP with a touch of JB Bore Cleaner. This has acheived satisfactory results for me without getting anything into the chamber/locking lug area of the rifle. A few minutes of Alberta Canuck's procedure normally get everything pretty smooth.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use toothpaste, but not the whitening kind, it'll take the bluing off! Seriously though, toothpaste is a slight abrasive and if you only need a little bit of lapping or smoothing then try the kind with baking soda in it. It works!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys! I have some Slide products "SuperGrease" left over from my injection molding days, I'll apply sparingly and work the bolt a couple hundred times.
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote