New
Find
Notify
Tools

What year was this rifle made ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just traded for an old Browning Bar serial number 50385 M70 does that mean it was made in 1970 ? it has a little scroll engraving on the reciever with an elk on one side and an antelope on the other . Haven't seen many like that around here. I'm going to clean it up and try to shoot it this weekend. Also had a sight hood missing, know where I might get one, it's a little difgferent fron the new ones as it should have a little concave on each side to fight the sight ramp, ne new ones have streight sides. Thanksm, Crock

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/guns/bar.htm

This site states it was a BAR manufactured in 1970

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Here is a link that might help
http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/guns/bar.htm

I didnt see the serial you listed so you'll have to dig deeper.

You may also be able to send them an email regarding service and parts. You can also look at numrichs site to see if they have a site hood.

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scroll engraving means it was a Grade II. The BAR is about the most accurate big game autoloader I've ever messed with. Has a pretty decent trigger and will usually hold its own with run-of-the-mill bolts. Yours should be stamped "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal". Generally very superior to the Remington 740-family and a bit better than the Winchester 100.

Your gun uses a different magazine than the current production. I've seen mags for this model for sale in Gun List and eBay. You might want to pick up a spare while they're still available, although since the magazine doesn't acually "drop out" it's not so prone to loss.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, it does have Beligum on the bbl. I have one that does say made in Beligum and assembled in Portugal. But this is a real Beligum BAR.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote