New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens Shotgun quesiton
 Login/Join

posted
Probably a gunsmith question

I have an old model 311 double 12 stevens shotgun that I got when I was a kid. It is about 55years old.
When I was recording serial numbers I failed to locate one on this shotgun. Was there ever a time that Stevens did not stamp serial numbers on their shot guns?
Dad bought it new in Orlando Fla.

Thanks Dave

Posts: 9 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
There was a time when the lower end stuff wasn't serialized, but some of the older guns are marked in the strangest places, and sometimes it has to be partially disassembled to find it, but if it is marked, it will be somewhere on the frame.(action)

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks PA Frank.

I'll look a little harder.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
DA
I also have a Stevens 311 that is about 55 years old. My dad gave it to my mom for a wedding present and they gave it to me when I was about 10 or 12. It does not have a serial number that I can find.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks NE 450 NE No2

I know it is an inexpensive shotgun but it sure has been a good one. Still as tight as when I got it.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the date, but up until a certain time serial numbers were not required on firearms but most manufacturers di so anyway. Stevens did not put them on their lower grade guns.

Those older 311 and the rest of that family last for years, they were sso overbuilt.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same with my Fox B made about 1960. No #'s. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that until the Gun Control Act of 1968 (I think '68) that serial numbers on firearms were not required. Some have 'em and some don't. All post-'68 will have them.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote