New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conetrol Ring Modification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What I want is an extra low set of Conetrol 30mm rings.
Conetrol can/will not supply a 30mm ringset below their std low 3mm height.
What can be done is order a high set (7mm)then machine the stems down to make a 1.5mm height ring(like the 1" low version),then machine new detents in the stem for the windage conecrews.

Who can do this type of work,and what would they charge?

one of us
posted Hide Post
will your scope fit with the modification you mention? the control system is very low to begin with and I would be afraid that it wouldnt fit.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
extra lows will only work with strait tube scopes that have eye pieces like the old redfield lo pro's.. low will work on a leupold 2.5x8 but not on a German 3x9 zeiss.. medium works on most scope combinations

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idahoelk 101,
The planned scope will fit with the ring mod. I dont plan and pay for a mod to be done without doing the engineering math first.

Tom ga hunter,
I dont know your source of information ,but You are mistaken,extralows do work with other scopes than those with straight tubes. I already have a 2.5-8x leupold on an m70 in leupold D/D extralow rings.I used two extralow front rings taken from 2pair of Leupold std SL ringsets.They have a 1.33mm height.

No offence, but please no more advice as to whether a scope will fit. I didnt ask that, I asked who can do the ring mod work that I require.

one of us
posted Hide Post
conetrol & leupold rings are a different height but spend your money as you want

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didnt mean to offend but I have a few and they can be a real bugger on scope dia. That said you might have to mill the bottom (the flat part of the ring) thinner as well, as this appears to sit on the base, but the mod you mention can be done. As to who, I cant help there, but as to does it make sense, sure.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idahoelk & Tom ga hunter,

following measures are for the gap between the scope tube and base:

Leupold super low 1"; 1.27mm
Leupold low 1"; 3.81mm
Conetrol low 1"; 1.58mm (1/16")

Leupold low 30mm; 1.55mm
Conetrol low 30mm; 3.0mm

The message I was trying to get across was that if I have already got a 2.5-8x in 1" superlows at 1.27mm, then it is no problem for the Conetrol 30mm at 1.50mm.On some scopes Only the scopes tube dia. increases (example is vxIII 4.5-14x40 1"tube and vxIII4.5-14x40 LR 30mm tube)Hence, the 30mm scope rest higher overall,raising the eyepiece and objective by 2.5mm on the same 1.50mm gap between base and tube.
Even with the super lows the 2.5-8x still has a 3.5mm measured gap between open bolt handle and eyepiece on my m70.with a 30mm tube it would only get bigger.

No offence taken,or intended, I do my best on this forum to keep questions clear and precise,same with my responces. WJ Cool