New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double square bridge magnum Mauser Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was in Ermelo yesterday getting a stock duplicated and the Gunsmith showed me a 404 Jeffrey he is building on a clone of a double square Bridge Magnum Mauser action. He said the clone was made by Truvelo. I thought it was made by Vektor.

The action is well made, cut by CNC methods and some of the parts are investment cast (eg the shroud and the ejector catch).

However I could not get past the fact that while they have changed a lot of the "engineering" in the action for the better (more barrel shank thread length), they have stuck with the original safety system with the scope interfering flag, and the magazine floorplate catch operates from inside the trigger guard.

With the kind of hard kickers that this action is destined for, there is a great likelihood the trigger finger will engage the catch under recoil and dump your bananas at your feet, rendering the CRF/PF debate pointless, as mbogo decides to go mano a mano!

Cheers

Pete

And the price!!!!! R15 000 or $1666 US.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pete---

If the floor plate latch is fitted right it's a physical impossibility to open the floorplate with the back of your trigger finger. Try it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I have trouble opening it with my thumb. The tab has to be depressed fully for the floorplate to release.
It's a magnum 98 in .404, single square bridge.
 -

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
This is a magnum mauser action I'm putting together.
I've taken a toothpick and moved the mag latch to the position necessary to allow the floorplate to open.

Proper adjustment and the appropriate spring make anything but an intentional opening quite unlikely.

If you're still worried there's always duct tape.
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vecktor and Truvelo are basically the same action and the action you refer to is a Mod. 20 Mauser (improved I suppose)...the safty is appropreate for that action and few would put a scope on that gun, but should you be a dyed in the wool scope user and many are it is a simple process to replace that Safty with an FN or M-70 safty...

That action is normally for 500 Jefferys, 505 Gibbs etc wherein a iron sight safty is what is needed and the original Mauser is the best safty ever designed but it is not scope friendly.

It is a wonder to me why one would waste such a fine action on a caliber that can be easily adapted to a 375 lenth action as the 404 is shorter than a 375....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote