THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X54M-S (.256 Mannlicher) in Model 70?
 Login/Join

<the-moleman>
posted
If a Winchester Model 70 Classic Compact were re-barreled for 6.5X54 M-S would the smaller head diameter (.453�) of the 6.5X54 case cause extraction problems with an unaltered bolt? All other cartridges currently chambered by Winchester in the Classic Compact have the �standard� head diameter of .473�.

Thanks,
Kurt

<JBelk>
posted
Yes it would. It would have to be bushed.

<the-moleman>
posted
Thanks for the answer.

Kurt

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are re-barreling to a 6.5, why not save some money and go to the 6.5 x 55 Swedish? This requires no bolt face alteration and is a ballistically superior cartridge. Additionally, ammo and brass is plentiful.

Posts: 3708 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<the-moleman>
posted
Bobster,

Two reasons why not:

1. On a practical note the 6.5X55 is too long for the Classic Compact action.

2. On a less practical note, the .256 Mannlicher evokes images in my mind of Charles Sheldon, F.C. Selous, Philip Percival, etc. [Smile] The 6.5X55 makes me think of Swedish moose hunters. [Frown]

Kurt

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the-moleman:
Bobster,

Two reasons why not:

1. On a practical note the 6.5X55 is too long for the Classic Compact action.

2. On a less practical note, the .256 Mannlicher evokes images in my mind of Charles Sheldon, F.C. Selous, Philip Percival, etc. [Smile] The 6.5X55 makes me think of Swedish moose hunters. [Frown]

Kurt

Kurt,

There's an easy solution for your problem. Make your 6.5x54mm brass from 220 Swift which has the correct head diameter and a .473 rim to fit the M-70 boltface.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 fits fine in the short action winchester, you just have to remove the spacer in the magazine box.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Kurt:

With that honourable view of the subject, why don�t you get the real thing: a .256 Mannlicher-Sch�nauer 1903 rifle?

Another option would be a .260 Remington, which holds nearly the same prestanda as the .256MS.

But remember that more mooses have been killed with the 6,5x55 Swede than with all other calibers together - at least here in Europe. They could be counted in a million or two - about 30-40 thousand per year here in Sweden. And that with the old Swede.

Fritz

P.S. I prefer 8 mm for moose - 6,5 is a bit weak.

[ 04-12-2003, 21:35: Message edited by: Fritz Kraut ]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Kraut:
Another option would be a .260 Remington, which holds nearly the same prestanda as the .256MS.

That's what I did. I have a Remington Model Seven in .260 Rem that I load with 160-grain RN bullets at 2350 fps to duplicate the 6.5x54 M-S ballistics. Of course, getting a real 1903 M-S carbine isn't a bad way to go either!

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see if the 6,5x54 ejects OK in the M70 from the slightly larger bolt face. An 1891 Argentine I had years ago was rebarreled to 6,5x54 and it extracted and ejected Norma 6,5x54 brass just fine. It also worked very well with formed .220 Swift brass as suggested above. A simple test of trying to feed and eject a 6,5x54 in an unaltered M70 of should tell the tale.

Posts: 969 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
<the-moleman>
posted
Johnly,
Thanks for the suggestions about the .220 Swift brass. I'd never heard of that before, but it makes sense.

bpesteve,
That's another good idea, and would certainly settle the matter.

Thanks all,
Kurt