New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conetrol Rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opinions on these? I have only seen pictures of them, I hear that they are the slickest looking thing out there, how do they stack up to reasonably priced rings?

thanks all.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, strong, VERY precisely made, and a *major* PITA to install. I like 'em but only AFTER they're on the gun [Big Grin]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool design - MONSTROUS pain in the ass to get them on the gun. That's why they came up with the ones with the screw through the bottom part. You need more hands than I was born with to hold all the little pieces parts together while you tighten them down.

Surely someone will post a simple method of doing this and I'll feel like a moron, but it won't matter since I'm never again taking them off the Riedl they're attached to.

One tip - it seems each ring is an individual unto itself with a left side, a right side and a cap that matches only those two parts and even then only when oriented correctly. Mark each part as to its respective place and you'll eliminate half the problems.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Do yourself a favor and use the S&K Sculptured Mounts. Look better aqnd MUCH easier to install. Available through Brownells.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put some on a .280 a few weeks ago. Allow a very low mount. Nice look'in. I don't know for the life of me know they machine the little cap that holds the rings together on top, but once it is on, you can't hardly see any sign it.

They do seem to take a lot of hands to hold all the bits in place, but if you have a gun vise it is doable (don't let this part scare you away). I have not had them long enough to vouch for strengh, but they look as strong as they are graceful.

Posts: 56 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Zeiss at the SCI Convention and ask them what rings to use. They said that they felt Conetrol were the strongest available although a pain to install. I put on some Leupolds as that is what the bases were.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have them on a BRNO actioned .460WM holding a 1.5-5 Leupold. 14yrs and several hundred rounds and nary a trace of movement. It's been so long I have forgotten if they were a PITA to install. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
It's been a long time since I have put on a set but I do remember I used a piece of tape over the top of the ring as a third (and fourth) hand. Then peeled it off when I was finished getting it all together. I do like the looks of them too!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I love the rings. The ones with the screw holding them together is real nice. On the others I use a small O ring to hold them together and then once they are in place clip the O ring off.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have them on 6 rifles and like them but mediums are really lows and lows can't be used for anything.. a few deinks and tape makes them easier to put on and you get better each time you use them but they are still a pill to put on but they are so good you never take them off...

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are very strong and sleek, a good product...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both Conetrol and S&K sculptured mounts and both work equaly well. The S&K are easier to install but are not finished as nicely as the Conetrol.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ConeTrol rings on several rifles, no problems, and will use them on future projects where there are no iron sights installed.

On the last two rifles built, I specified a Teflon finish on every metal surface, including the ConeTrol rings. My gunsmith came up with an interesting solution. (We used the model with the set screws, BTW.) First, the rings were installed on the action and reamed to ensure no alignment induced scope stress. He turned a piece of aluminum tubing to 1", assembled the rings on the tube, sandblasted them, and sent them away for the Teflon treatment, with instruction to finish them on the tube. The rifle was parkerized first to give the Teflon a good bite, but I doubt the rings received that treatment. Back in the shop, everything went together as intended. After a couple years of use, no problems to report.

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
My friend 400 Nitro Express has used them on several rifles for years. He will not use anything else!