New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L579 bolt problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a Sako L579 that has a BBAAADDDD bolt binding problem. rifle is like new with less than 40 rds through it, i got it from the original owner who says it's had the problem since new. it seams to be a problem of the bolt being to lose in the the raceway, it hangs on the on the right locking lug as you start to withdraw it, then the bolt guide binds when it gets back to where it's atachment point contacts the rear action bridge, then it binds on the same places when you push the bolt back in. if you work the bolt quickly it'll lock plumb up.
if i jiggle the bolt it will come lose and work or if you work it vary slowly and gently it will cycle but still is ruff & catchy.
i know thats a crappy discription but it's hard to describe.
anyone have a problem like this before and or a cure?

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not chambered in 284 Winchester by any chance?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check to be sure that your bolt guide is not slipping forward under recoil and interfering with the right bolt lug as you open the action. If the small spring steel clips under the bolt guide have been assembled upside down, it allows the guide to slip fore and aft with recoil, effectively locking up the action. If this is the case, you can insert a punch or even a spire bullet tip into the small hole on the guide to pull it back and free the bolt.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote