New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a good stock finish that is easy to apply and gives good protection? I have a stock that was given to me for a rem rifle that has been sanded bare, I would like something that is fairly easy to use without spending months to makd it decent.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given your criteria, I suggest Tru-Oil. Be sure to whisker the stock first.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You're going to get 20 different recipes to your question but for what it's worth i really like Pro Custom Oil from Brownells since I started useing it. I had been useing Tru-Oil but no more.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
This is the stuff you want:

Gun Sav'R Custom Oil Gunstock Finish

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1/3 spar varnish
1/3 turpenine
1/3 boiled linseed oil

Can't be easier to use or cheaper. Damn durable, though perhaps not so much as some of the poly finishes, but easily retouched or supplemented from time to time.

Brent

PS. Traditional to boot

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeN:
What is a good stock finish that is easy to apply and gives good protection? I have a stock that was given to me for a rem rifle that has been sanded bare, I would like something that is fairly easy to use without spending months to makd it decent.
Mike

Slightly thin (about 1/4) some Minwax
spar urethane with paint thinner.(green can)

Brush it on until it quits soaking in. Let
it dry thoroughly and sand smooth with 220 grit
aluminum oxide paper.

Now take a rag and hand rub on some finish of about 1/2 thinner and 1/2 finish with a small piece of t shirt material. Let dry
for a week or more and finish off with rubbing
compound and a couple coats of wax.

Seal the inletting, etc., with this thinner
finish too! Checkering can be done separately
after doing the rest of the stock. Put some
of the thinner finish on the chekering and let soak for 20 minutes. clean up excess with a
new toothbrush that is of the soft persuasion.
Wipe off with a soft rag.

It's not a rubbed in finish but it is quite
durable! Repairs and additional coats of this finish work well since it contains some tung
oil.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote