New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrelling a push feed Model 70 featherweight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could a push feed featherweight model 70 in 270 Win. be rebarreled to 7mm-08? If so, what kinds of modifications will need to be made? Are there any advantages to barelling a standard length action to a short action round?

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Of course it can. The only advantage may be that you can seat the bullets out to the lands, or near the lands without the bullet tip riding the front of the magazine well. You may consider a magazine well block in the mag if the bullets move around a lot in the mag under recoil?

<Don Martin29>
posted
What would you do that for? If it needs a new bbl then put another .270 on it. It's a better cartridge than the 708 anyway.

On that push feed M70. I broke the extractor right off on a stuck cartridge. You would think it would pull the rim off the 06 wouldn't you? It's only brass. I sold it.

That extractor is only pot metal. Sell it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a push feed Fwt.7-08 for 15 years great rifle have never had any trouble with it.Your 270. is a medium length action if you want a 7-08 it can be had on a short action which I think handles a little better an can be a little bit faster due to the shorter bolt movement.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig, they are very good actions. They did not have a short action push feed, they just put in a spacer block. I have had several in .257 Roberts and they function well. If you want the extra length you can pop out the spacer, it is just spot welded. The 7/08 will do well in that action. Just find a good gunsmith and go for it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Read his post again. It'a already a .270 Winchester! Who would want a 708 instead?

If your mind is filled with marketing BS and the myth of the 708 then sell the .270 as is and buy a CRF M-70 in 708. Better yet get it in .308.

The extractors break on the thin dovetail. It's only .050" thick there and it's powdered metal! Then the case stays stuck in the chamber and the little spring and pin fall into the magazine recess.

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 12-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 12-25-2001).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, you are right, read the post. He did not ask your opinion on whether the 7mm/08 was better than the .270 and no one offered that evaluation. He asked if it can be done and it can. I have had several of them and never had that problem you speak of, nor have I hear of it. Not saying it doesn't happen. The 7mm/08 is a good round, so is the .270, game will not know the difference when hit properly. Not BS, just trying to answer his questions.

You might try to chill out a bit, would make your life a bit more pleasant. Lets just stick to the issue at hand and don't try to get into a pissing match over nothing. I'm not interested, but I can't speak for the rest.

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 12-25-2001).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

As Chic pointed out, the topic of this thread was not which is the better cartridge. I like the 270 alot, but then I also like the 7mm-08 a great deal. Not being a gunsmith and not pretending to be one either, I wanted to know if the rebarrelling of my action could be done and if so what problems I may run into. Thanks to everyone's input I've decided to go ahead with this project. I appreciate your opinion on the 270 cartridge Don, but it is only that...your opinion. The fact is I already own a couple other 270's and don't really want another.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Well, I own a 7/08 and have sold bunches. In all that time I have only had one for resale and that is because the customer would not listen to what I told him about the weight (he wanted a lam. stock Sako and I told him it would be heavy)
You will enjoy shooting the mild 7/08 however your deer will not appreciate you having one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes there was and still is a short action Model 70 push feed.Production started shortly after USRAC took over Winchester's firearm production and the short action push feed continues to this day in the Coyote model and maybe others.I had a "Lightweight" model in 243 that was definetly a short action pushfeed. The early ones were even stamped "Model 70 SA" on the barrel.As for rebarreling a 3.40" mag box long action to 7mm-08? Why? Rebarrel it to 284 Winchester and give those little .284" bullets a boost in velocity.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rembo, you are right, I forgot about those. I did not know they were still building them.

<Don Martin29>
posted
I stand 100% on my statements that it makes no sense to bbl a long action for 708 and that the extractor is wrong.

The thing to do is to sell it as is, that will get rid of a .270 for sure. Then you get rid of the push feed with the weak extractor.