Find
Notify
Tools

Sedgley 03-A3 ?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
Would some of the more knowledgable folks familiar with Sedgley rifles such as 2mp please comment on the following rifle:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=20879854

Besides the fact the rifle is a 1903 and not a 1903A3, did Sedgley ever actually make such a rifle with an Enfield bolt handle and triggerguard-floorplate? This thing is a first for me, and can't imagine someone going to the trouble of assembling such a rifle.

Many thanks

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
During WWII there was a shortage of 1903 Springfields and Sedgley used all their parts to put together some odd ball stuff for use a plant protection type rifles. These were a Mixmaster of parts from 1917's and who knows what else, some of the parts were cast from aluminum. After the war some rifles were then sporterized (don�t ask me why).

If you need more info I�m sure there is more detail in the 1903 book by Brophy.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
2mp

Many thanks for your reply. I guess I am going to have to get that book of Brophy's. I keep putting it off, but you have given me one more reason to get it.

Thanks again.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Brophy's book (page 242-244) some of the rifles put together by Sedgley used: and I quote..."questionable '03 parts"...and some Krag and Enfield parts were also used."

From what he describes it sounds like this company just took whatever parts that happened to be lying around and put them together to make a bastardized rifle of sorts. He also states that most of these "thrown together" rifles had very low serial numbers (below 800,000.)

He also states that allot of these mixed matched type rifles were made up for the movie business and he mentions a 20th Century Fox promotional photo of Betty Grable surrounded by thirty nine "movie prop" 1903's that had Krag rear sights, 1917 Enfield upper bands, and thick aluminum trigger guards.

I work in the movie business and Stenbridge Gun Rental used to have some pretty bizarre rifles. They had racks and racks of Trapdoor Springfields that had a phoney flintlock frizen mechanism mounted on them. We used some of these on the TV mini-series Dream West about John C. Fremont. Also used them on the TV version of the Alamo (Alamo, 13 days to Glory) The idea was to have a rifle that appeared to be a flintlock that could fire .45-70 blanks. All of us stunt guys got screamed at all day long during the battle scenes for getting caught "loading" blanks on camera instead of pretending to ram a ball down the barrel.

What a waste of some beautiful Springfield rifles!

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Idared...
Besides the fact the rifle is a 1903 and not a 1903A3, did Sedgley ever actually make such a rifle with an Enfield bolt handle and triggerguard-floorplate?

Not just an Enfield handle.....that's an Enfield bolt!

Quite the bastardized sporter.

I think you should have that, Larry.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idared,

Speaking of Brophy, I had the opportunity to get a checkering cradle that he built. I bought a number of rifles from an elderly gentleman in Wenatchee who had been a military gunsmith in the 50's. He gave me a pile of old supplies and odds and ends in addition to the rifles. Included in that was this very large but well built oak checkering cradle built and used by Brophy. The lower arm (and crank which appeared useless) was from a machine gun tripod turret. He said that Brophy said he never really got good at checkering and felt that this guy could make better use of it. He asked me if I knew who he was and told him that I certainly did and that I had one of his L C Smith books.

Having a good cradle already that Morris Ottmar used, I sent it to Dago Red to clutter up his shop.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Chic

Not to slight Mr Brophy, but I think you made the right decision. Wouldn't you love to hear that craddle of Morris's talk about all the stocks that were checkered on it by that great master? Checkering craddles are great conversational pieces though. I always smile when I see a picture of the one of Alvin Linden's mounted on an old cream separator base. Made me think of it again when you mentioned Brophy's was mounted on a machine gun tripod turret.

Thanks for sharing that story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bannerman also made up some rifles from low number 03 receivers, and Enfield bolts. There was a picture in one of the catalogs. As I recall they were sent England for the Home Guard. Also I recall reading somewhere that they had a feeding problem.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote