New
Find
Notify
Tools

8/40 Bases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just noticed that my Sisk rifles are threaded for 8/40 scopemount screws. Are they offered by the makers of Talley or Warne, or do standard bases need to be drilled out?

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’d give Dave a call at talley direct. It would not surprise me if they do this but don’t list them. In the past the “signature” bases were not on the website, only by asking (they are now). And Dave has helped me fit a narrower ring to some oddball custom bases. Good dudes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter, yes, when I Google 8/40 scope bases, both Talley and Warne pop up. Just not listed, I guess. I emailed Dave at Talley. Thanks.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't bother with stocking them; too easy to drill out the 6-48 holes and milling the head pocket. That way I don't have to stock or look for, slow stuff.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Talley does not have them in stock they will make you a set in a day or two. I have purchased several sets from them.

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave has been retired for years, Gary bought him out a long time ago unless he has returned..I think they would make some 8/40s but you can buy them from Brownells..I just drill out the 6/48s and thread the hole...I use 8/40 in most of my big game rifles and all the big bores but not sure the 6/48 and some red stick'um or glass bedding isn't good enough, Ive never had the 6/48s fail, just heard stories and thats mostly BS or heresay....most screws are broken by too much muscle and who admits such things as that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote