New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 swift and the Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at the dimensions it looks as if a 220 swift should be a perfect fit in a standard mauser action. Has anyone ever done one?

Does the Swift have to have a 26" barrel? From the point of view of muzzle blast more than velocity what is 24" like with this hot rod?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola 1894 why not an 5.6 x 57 ? it fir a M98 you can buy the barrel from LWalther as standard , it have a tight twist to handle 75 Grains KS cases can be done from standard x 57 cases .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
1894---

I've done them but it takes extensive feed rail and magazine box work to do it. The Swift has a RIM.

<eldeguello>
posted
Yeah, the 5.6X57mm would be better. Particularly if you get a fast-twist barrel and shoot heavy (70 gr+) bullets in it!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first .220 Swift was built on a Santa Barbra Mauser action, a Federal 24 inch sporter weight barrel, and a semi-fancy black walnut classic design stock approximately 24 or 25 years ago. Topped it off with a Redfield 3X9 Accutrac. I had to do a little rail work, fit a magazine block and be careful to load the magazine one rim stacked in front of the other.

I shot many many coyotes, a few bobcats, several Texas whitetails and one Colorado mule deer with it. I used the now obsolete Sisk 49 grain Express bullet. It had a tough jacket and a very tiny tip of lead exposed so it was perfect for not damaging hides and penetration on light game. It was a superb long range varmit rifle.

Later when the barrel shot out I pulled the barrel and sent it off to be rebored to .257. When I got it back I chambered it to .257 Roberts Improved. I still hunt with it now and it has harvested many Texas whitetails and a few hogs.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The swift is a real pain of a cartridge IMHO. Good ballistics but be prepared to neck turn and check OAL frequently as it flows brass like nothing else I've ever seen. I have a 22-250 Ackley Improved on a VZ24, however, that's a dream. 4000fps with 52 gr bullets and .5 inch groups. No changes to feed rails, mag box or boltface are necessary. Consider this before a Swift.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had considered a 5.6x57 but I don't want that darn thick neck! Maybe my smith can use another 22cf for the neck part of the chamber reaming?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
1894, then look at the .22 Newton. It is essentially the 5.6X57, but without the thick neck! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed I have looked at the various versions - I think the other one is the 22 Clarke? The trouble is I wouldn't want to pay for the reamers.

<eldeguello>
posted
Mybe you could rent a reamer. There are several suppliers who will rent you a set for a short time, at much less cost!! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
try the 22.243 MIDD easy to form from 243 Win case and very powerfull the 22/6 REM is very good too and feed very well in bolt action

5.6x57 is the most inacurrate cartridge I have never shoot and one of the most costly too.

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
dantec, if you neck the 6mm Rem. (or ANY 57mm case) down to .22, what you have is: TA DA!! A .22 Newton!! Only Newton made his from the 7X57mm Mauser case, because there weren't any smaller caliber ones in the U.S. at the turn of the 20th Century! Yes, the .22/6mm Rem is 100 years old!

<biff>
posted
how bout a 22 Cheetah? gabe