New
Find
Notify
Tools

New barrel settling in
 Login/Join

<GlennB>
posted
Just got my rifle back from a gunsmith with a high dollar match barrel installed. Any idea how long it takes to "settle in"? I have put fifty rounds thru it with groups all over the place!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You better be calling your gunsmith and ask him these questions.

"All over the place" is not what you paid for.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handloads?

define all over the place?

what twist compared to bullet weight?

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber? How did you do the break-in? CrMo or S.S. barrel? The more details you provide the better will be the replies.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
The barrel is a Shilen select match in stainless steel. #5 contour, 26 inches long. 7mm Mag, 1 in 9 twist. All over the place is 1 1/2 to 3 inch group with handloads.

160 partition
60 to 63 grains IMR 4831
WLR primers
once fired (in this chamber) Winchester brass

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try shooting a match bullet that is known for it's capability to group well, I'd start with an A-Max or a Sierra MK. Are you expecting 1" groups or better with a hunting bullet just because it's a custom barrel? Find out what it's capable of now with the best factory match bullets, then you'll know what to better expect with lesser accurate hunting bullets. If it's only capable of 1 moa accuracy with match bullets after trying a couple types, you'd better have a talk with the smith about it. If you get nice groups with match bullets, which you should, you should change powders, seating depth to alter barrel time etc if your dead set on using the Partition. If not, change bullets first.

I'd try the new Hodgdon 4831SC, more temp stable and easier to meter.

You still didn't say how you broke in the barrel?

Did you alow the barrel to cool between shots or was it heating rapidly when shooting these groups?

Action screws loosen up?

Scope?

Mounts?

Rest?

Hold?

Freefloated?

Aftermarket recoil lug?

Bedding?

Lots of things to rule out first before you point the finger at the barrel or the smith basically.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

This is interesting. Please describe what the rifle was capable of before the new barrel. Are you using the same stock, scope mounts & scope, etc.? I presume your load was one you used previously.

I have shot the 160 Nosler Partition in my 7mm RM, and loaded it for other shooters. It is not a target bullet, but certainly not a 3-incher either. [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
The barrel was broken according to the Shilen method. Fire one, then clean, first five rounds. Then clean after every five rounds.

The ambient temperature was approx 65 degrees F. Rounds were fired slow, approx. 30 seconds between shots.

I checked all action screws, scope mounts etc. All were tight.

I use a Wichita rest and basically shoot one handed, allowing the rifle to recoil.

The action had been bedded previously with the barrel free-floated. I checked during the firing sequence and was unable to notice any barrel to stock contact.

With the Ruger barrel, broken in, and prior to being shot out, I was getting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with 61 grains of IMR-4831, WLR primers, Remington cases, and 160 grain Partitions.

Thanks for all your efforts.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
GlennB,

Take a close look at the crown. Make sure it looks square and concentric. Make sure you can clearly see each land and groove, and that each one ends cleanly without the slightest sign of damage...

Malm

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

I think it is indeed time to ask the gunsmith who did the work for a review.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hoo-boy, I'd have had a discussion with ole smithy before now..... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

All barrels do not like the same bullets that's for sure. I'd try a couple good match bullets and check the crown as GM pointed out first. Just because it throws partitions all over don't mean squat. Switch to a different bullets or weight and it might stack'm up! If it don't the smith can find if the problem is in the barrel, his work or something still uncorrected. Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Update.

Today we got a .255 03 shot group with 150 grain ballistic tips and 64 grains of IMR-4831.

Including the fouler, the group was .632.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While it's possible that the barrel just doesn't like partitions and may shoot better with match bullets, it's doubtful. I've never had a problem getting fine accuracy out of partitions. Any time I had a problem with them it always turned out to be the rifle. A properly put together rifle with a shilen barrel should be shooting 1" groups or less right from the get go, better when you tune up the load, you're a far cry from that. There's something wrong with the rifle, give it back to the gunsmith and tell him to fix it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 in 270 Winchester that groups between 1/2" and 3/4 inch with Hornady or Speer 130 grain bullets, or with 140 grain Sierra BTSP and Nosler 130 and 140 grain ballistic tips.

Last year I bought a box of 150 grain Partition Gold bullets. It was like a different rifle. The best groups were arond 2-1/2" and some were close to 4". So while Partitions are reasonably accuratein some guns, they are not in all rifles, I can attest to that.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own rifles do not shoot nearly as well with partitions as with other bullets.They shoot well in some rifles but not in mine.Groups run 1-1/2" with partitions and 1/2" with ballistic tips.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote