New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock finishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently I learned a trick from a retired stockmaker that I think is worth sharing:

After sanding a new stock or one that needs to be refinished, add some fine chalkpowder to the oil you are using. Use a felt pad that you soak with oil and then put as much chalk on it as it will take. This not only helps to fill the pores, but also works as a very mild abbrasive.

The result is a perfect smooth surface with a very warm semi gloss finish that feels like 'velvet'

I tried it on a handrubbed riflestock that had become a little rough and dull over the years. I have done quite a few handrubbed stocks, but never got the result I did this time.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If chalk powder is hard to come by, rottenstone works the same way

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine furniture finishers use rottenstone pumice and some synthetic plastics as polishing media .

Look at some of the Smithsonian displays or real high end furniture and you'll see your self looking back . I for one am surprised that more do it your self stock finishers re finishers don't use Catalyzed Lacquer for matt Semi or Gloss finish . I know hand rubbed oil finishes are nice easy to take care of , but offer little to no protection . Just MO .

I prefer Urethane two component clear finishes my self , Aerospace ,Marine, Automotive types in that order of which Type 1 Aliphatic Hydrocarbon is the most durable clear finish .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know synthetic lacquers are stronger and more durable than an oilfinish.

However, no lacquer brings out the rich colour and grain like an oil finish does.

That is why I prefer handrubbed stocks

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree to a point .

I believe it really depends on how one " Brings out rich color .

First off I'm no gunsmith !. That being said I've worked with woods from all over the world ( Literally ) in almost every aspect of construction of some thing or another .For years before obtaining my Degrees in another field .

My real job ( I'm Semi Retired now ) was composite fabrication technology . Epoxies fiber skin and cores . I also had to either know or develop appropriate protective coatings for them .

Finishing not just wood but metal , plastics composites for durability as well as beauty was and still is my passion .

A finish can enhance or degrade an object .

I personally have found Prepping a woods surface is one of the most important procedures in any type of finish . With that said it's possible to bring out Color and Grain either natural or stained . A rubbed oil look , with a Urethane coating for protection .

If one closes the grain " seals " it then applies layer after layer of urethane it will look plastic coated . YUK. How ever if one abrades the surface very finely blows all the wood dust off then applies a penetrating urethane . Just enough to protect the wood with out building to much on the surface . Nice protection nice feel as well as look .

I see your from the Country of Finishes !.

Epifanes Some of the finest products available .

I also worked for Akzo Nobel as well as Valspar . Each finish is beautiful in the eye of a beholder .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
Recently I learned a trick from a retired stockmaker that I think is worth sharing:

After sanding a new stock or one that needs to be refinished, add some fine chalkpowder to the oil you are using. Use a felt pad that you soak with oil and then put as much chalk on it as it will take. This not only helps to fill the pores, but also works as a very mild abbrasive.

The result is a perfect smooth surface with a very warm semi gloss finish that feels like 'velvet'

I tried it on a handrubbed riflestock that had become a little rough and dull over the years. I have done quite a few handrubbed stocks, but never got the result I did this time.

Are you talking about chalkboard chalk or something else? After reading your post I was wondering if soapstone would work. I have a browning stock that I recently stripped and I want to try something like this.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rub Line-

Welcome to AR.

Duane Wiebe is arguably our most talented contributor, so I'd take his advice.

And... rottenstone is easy to find.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fellow enthusiast Chalk is Talc some times found in baby powder not so much any more as corn starch is now main ingredient .Talc is easily obtainable . It's like fine sharp glass except white when viewed under magnification .

Abrade with wet & dry silicon carbide paper when fine finishing is the desired surface . I prefer a commercial neutral porosity wood filler , if one is filing that is .

After certain oil finishes or urethane , lacquer , epoxy , clear coats ; is when I recommend using rottenstone to cut surface nibs or polishing for that hand rubbed effect .

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've used rottenstone a few times and really like it. I go a step farther and toss a little bone black in with it. It gives it a rather unique look.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1...

Incredibly GORGEOUS work!!!

Masterly WONDERFUL!!!

I would like to learn this approach one day from you sir...

Have a GREAT day! Smiler

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,
WOW !! Fine work sir.

I wish my finished stocks looked like this

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice TC1 ; Bone Black to fill porosity in the grain , instead of a neutral filler . I like the Idea with certain woods . Thanks for the tip .

I knew a guy who used hand rubbed oil finishes . He waxed his stock with colored floor wax , gave similar look .