THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Parker Hale 1000 Safari .375: Santa Barbara or FN?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale 1000 Safari .375: Santa Barbara or FN?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What was the action on the Parker Hale 1000 Safari .375?

This particular one has the standard 3 positions Mauser "flag" safety.

(Also posted on "Big Bores").

Thanks!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, Parker Hale had only used Santa Barbara actions. First they were military, then commercial. Their relationship goes back to the 60's, when Parker Hale stopped using Enfields. I would be curios to know whether your action has a full C-ring or the H style.

As a side note, the 3-postion (180 degree) military style safety in known as the wing style (flugel-sicherung in German). The side safeties, such as Winchester, are more commonly known as flag safeties (because they look like flags hanging from a pole)

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kurt,

Thanks. I'll check the ring and let you know. It's a .375 that I want to buy as a loaner and bush-beater, will make a working gun out of it but I want to make sure it's not one of the "hard" Santa Barbara that missed a step on heat treatment.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All guns sold in the UK must have passed British Proof Test. So your 375 will have been already subject to being tested with the firing of a round approximately 40% over standard working pressure. I would have no worry about it.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote