New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22PPC case on .473 bolt face?
 Login/Join

<Arizona Larry>
posted
I've never had a PPC rifle. Are most rifle rebarrel jobs to the PPC case using the standard .473 bolt face? If so, how does that effect the PPC case against the bolt?
Learning something new. Thanks, Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I don't about the USA but in Australia it is very common.

As to bolt face clearance it does not matter as that is normal anyway.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Arizona Larry>
posted
Thanks for the input Mike. What about the extractor on the bolt face of a Remington M700? Or the Winchester Model 70 (pre-64 or classic models) extractor hook. Do they still grab the rim of the case well enough?

[This message has been edited by Arizona Larry (edited 11-14-2001).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

They seem OK on the Remingtons but I guess there would always be some rifles and some case rims that might not work as well as they might.

Of course a lot of them a converted to Sako extractors.

Plenty of shooters out here that start with a 223 bolt have it opened and changed to the Sako extractor also have the 308 bolt face size made. It does add some versatility.

I have never seen a Model 70 in PPC but I think you could have problems with a 308 extractor for the PPC in a Pre 64 or the current action as without extractor tension the case could fall free, although it would just be left behind and sit on the magazine follower.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 11-14-2001).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Mike is right.

We have built several rifles with differnt barrels, using both the 308 and the PPC cases.

In most cases you do not need any modification on the extractor. But we always change our extractors on the Remington to the Sako type. Never had any problems.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67293 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

In most cases you do not need any modification on the extractor. But we always change our extractors on the Remington to the Sako type. Never had any problems.

I recommend reading Saeed's accounts regarding chambering, and or operating a lathe. Not to be missed.

I also can recommend following his advice re: bolt faces.

I don't recomemmend doing both if you want to sleep soundly at night after following his advice

Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
As soon as my 9.3X64 gets back from the smith, I will be rebarreling my 7.62X39 Ruger 77 MkII to .22PPC. Easy project as the bolt face and mag box are already the correct size. Good luck. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Comparing cartridge drawings it looks like one could make PPC cases from 220 Swift. You would have the required .473 rim but you would also have a large primer pocket.Check it out.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an "extra" Rem 700 BDL Varmint in 222.If I open the bolt face and rechamber to the PPC,will it feed from the magazine? What advantage does the PPC have over the BR case in a target/varmint rifle? ie: not one that is expected to shoot in the .20's on a regualar basis.I have a Sako AII heavy barrel in 22-250. Would it be a step forward in accuracy to rechamber the factory barrel to 22BR?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rembo,

I have had bench rifles in calibers up to 375.

My experience has been that within a general caliber group, there is not much accuracy difference and you would often need several rifles for it to become evident.

If you take a PPC barrel off and put a 22/250 or 243 on the differences will be real small.

A good friend of mine rechambered his Hunter Class 6mm PPC to 243 and could not see any difference. Of course in this case the 243picked up the advantage of the slow twits PPC barrel.

But if that rifle had of been Heavy Varmint and with a 36X scope, then there would be probably a small difference.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Larry- If you want to build a really accurate .22PPC i.e. a gun that will shoot consistent .1-.2 inch groups you will wind up spending a whole lot of money. You will need a "trued" and sleeved Rem 700 action, a good barrel, Jewell trigger. etc. In the end you will wind up spending $1500 bucks or more and still have a Rem 700 worth $500. You can get by with less, but don't expect to shoot .1-.2 groups. Don't let anyone kid you,I don't see any .243's winning any major Benchrest matches. I had the same idea you have, but thought about it real carefully, and deceided to buy a used 6PPC custom gun built on a stolle action and hart barrel from Ron Hoehn ( Hoehn Supplies-a great guy) for under $2K. If you check out the BENCHREST CENTRAL website you can often find people selling really well made benchguns for less than you would invest in your Rem 700. These are often guns built by experts with all the bells and whistles and ususlly with a couple of barrels of different calibers.-Good luck

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Arizona Larry>
posted
Thank you all for your input. I'm mostly interested in the .20PPC or the .20BR for coyotes and foxes. I posted in the small caliber forum asking what the difference in performance is between the two cartridges.
Is the .20BR a little over bore? Why is the .20PPC appear to be more popular. Any hardcore .20cal wildcatters, please speak up! Thanks