Find
Notify
Tools

building an ar-10 .243win
 Login/Join

Picture of slopjock
posted
Hello all.
i'm planning on builing an AR-10 in .243 from the ground up. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little direction on what are some of the better parts to use to build the best gun. I plan on using the gun for varminting and would like to equip it with a nice heavy barrel and of course optics. i also have a FFL, so any ideas on the best place to get these parts would also be appreciated.

thanks in advance for the help
slopjock78

one of us
posted Hide Post
Armalite, they sell a complete upper in 243. Just pick up an Armalite or Eagle lower and put them together.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
You may also want to try DPMS. I know several people that are happy with DPMS. They have parts kits available and are not hard to assemble. Most AR's come with crappy triggers and you will want to stone it or order an aftermarket. I have talked with the good folks at DPMS many times and they are helpful.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either Armalite or DPMS receiver and bolt components. Get a good barrel, move the port out 2-4" from std location depending on barrel length. I have the longer gas tubes if you need one. With any luck your extension will be a decent fit on your receiver. The Armalite parts are WAY overpriced. I would not bother with a stock Armalite or DPMS barrel. The Gieselle trigger is the best by far, if you want to save some money the RRA two stage can be made into a good trigger. Do not try or let anyone else try to work over the std single stage AR trigger.

If you have any questions feel free to call. I may not be able to build a stock like Chic, or engrave like Scrollcutter, but I do know a thing or two about AR's.

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of slopjock
posted Hide Post
gasgunner, where are you at in illinois? i'm just west of peoria. thanks for the insight, and i would appreciate any help you could give me on this. i'm pretty inexperienced in the world of ar's so any help would be much appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slopjock;Have you ever fired or handled one?I bought one 4or 5 years ago and hated it.It was clumsy to handle and pointed slow.I couldnt get rid of it quick enough.I know own and much prefer an AR15.There are AR 15 uppers available in calibers that will perform as well as a .243.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am about 30 miles east of Peoria on I-74. The AR-10 is not for the beginer AR shooter. The stock rifles on work about half the time, and even then, they have a lot of issues. If you need the range and hitting power of a .243, get a good bolt gun. If you need the quick follow up shot of a semi-auto, get an AR-15.

John

For more info www.whiteoakprecision.com

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Slopjock, just as an aside, I have an AR15 with a 6x45 uper built by Teppu Jutsu that I'm really starting to like. The longest bullet I can fit in the mag is the 80 gr. SSP though.

It's not quite a .243 in performance but very inexpensive (compared to a AR 10) and easy to load for.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPMS now sells a .243 WSSM upper for an AR-15 lower, more power than a .243 WIN, and it feeds through a AR-15 lower!!!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is Oly, not DPMS, and they only fed with less than 5 in the mag.

John