Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Trigger jobs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
Alright, I have a few Remington model 700 Rifle, all of which need trigger work.

First is my model BDL .308 that I have had for about 15 years now. I recently upgraded from the factory wood stock to a synthetic with a recoil pad so it would stop knocking my teeth out everytime I pulled the trigger. This is my main hunting rifle for deer and pigs. So im thinking a trigger pull of about 3lbs would be good?

Also I have a new model 700 in a .204 caliber. This is my fun varmit rifle and I would like about a 1 lb trigger on it.

last is my Sendero model 700 ina 7mm mag. which I plan on maing my 500 yrd bomb dropper. Im still up in the air about the amount of trigger pull i want.

But the main thing to remember here is all of the trigger pulls on these rifles are terrible and STIFF!

So my question to you guys is should I just employ my local gun smith and let him do all the work? Or should I find myself a trigger kit on the net and order it and then have him install it?

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would buy 3 Shilen triggers for what you are asking. If you want the factory triggers, please let a qualified smith rework them. They are easy to stone and adjust, but they can kill you if you make a mistake.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Neil Jones Custom products do some for me, did a great job to 3# for hunting. Used to be about $50 with return shipping (you send just the trigger).

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Remington triggers are adjustable for sear and pull and are easy to adjust. You however will not get a safe 1 lb. trigger from the stock unit. PM me if you want detailed info.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
You shoyld be able to adjust Remington trigers down to 2.5 to 3 lbs. The creep can be adjusted to most peoples satisfaction without being dangerious, If you want the best trigger for a 700, nothing beats a "Jewell"....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Remington triggers are adjustable for sear and pull and are easy to adjust. You however will not get a safe 1 lb. trigger from the stock unit. PM me if you want detailed info.

AND overtravel.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have always adjusted my own 700's with some information posted years back in a magazine artical. Its not hard to do and it yeilds a crisp 2-3 pound trigger pull.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Jewell on my 700 Police. Actually I had a smith install it. $228 for the trigger from Midway (get the one with the safety, not the "benchrest").

$100 installation, but it's done correctly. And the stock relieve is neat and tight.

Jewell trigger uses a linkage where the sear is not impinged upon by the bolt striker spring. Adjustable without taking the gun apart for travel and pressure.

The Jewell comes with three springs and can be set from 1.5 oz to 4.5 lbs.

If you're shooting off a rest with a scope this trigger will tighten your groups. Mine is set at about 4 oz. and no travel.

Pretty amazing and worth every penny.

If you "adjust" a Rem. 700 trigger and ever send the rifle to the factory, Remington will remove the "adjusted" trigger and replace it with another stock trigger.

Look at the Jewell and read about the mechanism. It's got any other trigger system whipped.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I have always adjusted my own 700's with some information posted years back in a magazine artical. Its not hard to do and it yeilds a crisp 2-3 pound trigger pull.

Me too, and once you've done one, you can do the next one in about five minutes. I'm just talking about the adjusting. I didn't fool with taking the whole trigger apart and polishing every surface, cause mine have all felt very nice without having to. I basically just lowered the poundage till it felt good. Simple.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wolff springs sells a reduced weight trigger spring that helps considerably but still wont get you down under two lbs- safely-- Step one is flush out the trigger housing- amazing what kind of crap comes out of there

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Alright, I will give a few suggestions a try and also call my smith and get his input.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
$100 installation, but it's done correctly.

WOW $100.00 to change a Remington trigger. That amounts to about $600.00 an hour.

I'll be happy to do your next one.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
http://www.snipercountry.com/A...emingtonTriggers.asp

Ran across this sometime ago, might be helpfull?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote