THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    which real differences between Tikka and Sako rifles?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which real differences between Tikka and Sako rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since they are made by the same factory, which are the real differences between the two brands? (accuracy, quality controls, finish etc.) Here Tikka rifles are 20% cheaper than Sako. Thanks - Lorenzo.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Completely different rifles. Tikka= 2 lugs, Sako=3. Actions are different design. They may both come out of the same building but they aren't the same. To me the Tikka action cycles a little smother, The Sako looks like a higher quality rifle.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Speedy>
posted
A friend of mine got a Sako 75 Finnlight in 308 for Christmas. Finest FACTORY rifle I have seen in years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are owned by the same company, but I'm not aware that they've consolidated manufacturing facilities. As time goes by, I suspect that new rifles in each line will come to resemble each other more and more. For now, while both are well-made, they are dissimilar designs and the Tikka will always incorporate some cost-saving features and materials in order to appeal to a broader market.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As stonecreek suggests, the Tikka does have some "cheaper" materials in it; I think the trigger guard is either alloy or plastic for instance. However, Tikka's seem to be a well kept secret; they shoot as well as, or if not better than many much more expensive rifles and I would not hesitate to buy one. Another minor but important difference between Sako and Tikka is the scope rails which are milled onto the action. On Sako you have a wedge shaped rail where as on Tikka have a parallel rail more akin to a Weaver style rail although I am not sure it is the same size. Optilock mounts are available for both.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tikka vs Sako

Barrel same make different profile with tikka having no 'swamp' to speak of.

Actions Tikka 3 sizes Sako 5-6 sizes. Thus some rounds are slightly mismatched in the Tikka eg the 222 in the short action which accepts 243 length rounds, they still feed fine though. Rails parallel on Tikka, wedged on Sako.

Bolts tikka 2 lug with enclosed bolt face (sprung extractor) and spring plunger ejector - VERY smooth and no key crap. Sako 3 lug and not examined closely.

Magazines etc. Tikka has a plastic 3 round mag single column no top up in rifle. Sako metal staggered mag (5?) top up in rifle. The Tikka trigger guard and mag well are all plastic whereas the sako is metal.

Stocks - Tikka has a square section forend, Deluxe comes with rollover cheek piece and palm swell together with a forend cap. I have seen better wood on a Tikka standard than I have on a twice price Sako Deluxe.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
both have them short 24 inch slow barrels and as long as they keep em comming they can keep em...

Posts: 18 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Tikka but can tell you the difference between a Sako 75 and a remington 700. The Sako feeds much easier,you can feed it quickly with your eyes closed or in the dark.To do this with a rem. if possible you need alot of practice.I think this is so because the loading port is bigger on the Sako. The trigger on the Sako is better,it just feels more crisp and less slacky.The fireing pin spring on the Sako is also more reliable than the rem.It strikes the primer with the same force over and over again whereas the rem. seems to be binding and twisting like a tangled telephone cord,stiking with different energies and sometimes almost not strikeing.I like both rifles though,and the Tikka looks like a cheap rifle although I have never owned one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I have a sako and just got a 223 TIKKA my friend has been selling quite a few of sako's and Tikka. The sako is of higher quality. But so far the Tikka's seem to be more accurate. I don't understand why, but that is what we have observed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
I have a sako and just got a 223 TIKKA my friend has been selling quite a few of sako's and Tikka. The sako is of higher quality. But so far the Tikka's seem to be more accurate. I don't understand why, but that is what we have observed.

Tikka's have a bigger action, 2 lugs are easier to bed than 3, the tikka has a flat bottomed stock and above all the tikka has a heavier barrel profile.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote