New
Find
Notify
Tools

Close to me gunsmith question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there, so I got a M48 Yugo action, a Barrell that I've been told has never been shot. Still gots the cosmoline on it(I think that's the right word). A Wisner safety and Timney trigger. So I think it's time to put my 8mm Mauser together. It's gonna be my deer and elk gun shooting 200 grain Partitions or Accubonds whichever groups better. So my plan is to have talley rings n bases, Leupold scope not sure of the magnification. As for the stock I'm not sure yet maybe you could help me out with that decision. But my main question is do any of you know of a gunsmith to put my rifle together? I live in a town called Burns Oregon out in the middle of nowhere 2 hours east or west to Walmart. But at least we got hunting. I am willing to travel but not to far.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good combo. You need a gunsmith familiar with machining a safety breech and working with Mausers. There are a number on this forum who might chime in. I wouldn't worry about being close to a gunsmith. Find the right one and ship it.

quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Hi there, so I got a M48 Yugo action, a Barrell that I've been told has never been shot. Still gots the cosmoline on it(I think that's the right word). A Wisner safety and Timney trigger. So I think it's time to put my 8mm Mauser together. It's gonna be my deer and elk gun shooting 200 grain Partitions or Accubonds whichever groups better. So my plan is to have talley rings n bases, Leupold scope not sure of the magnification. As for the stock I'm not sure yet maybe you could help me out with that decision. But my main question is do any of you know of a gunsmith to put my rifle together? I live in a town called Burns Oregon out in the middle of nowhere 2 hours east or west to Walmart. But at least we got hunting. I am willing to travel but not to far.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, good combo that will make a good rifle. Use a Boyds stock.
Scope; Leupold 2-7 or 3-9, or 4-12 if you have longer shots.
I have done many of exactly what you want; easiest way is to machine off the safety breech extension on the barrel and then you won't have to cut the notch. Just like every other Mauser. It does not affect safety. The other 100 million Mausers without it testify to that.
There is no such thing as a local gunsmith; they are all far from where anyone lives. You always have to mail it to them, which is easy.
I do not have time now, unfortunately.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a guy called Wayne York in E Oregon, I think he is in Pendleton.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree about having to mail your rifle to a gunsmith. My most recent gunsmiths were located in California, Indiana and Colorado and I am in Tennessee. My recommendation would be for Steve Nelson in Corvallis, OR, who is the only Oregon gunsmith I have had personal contact with. You will find his contact information at https://www.acgg.org/index.php.../userprofile/NelsonS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oregunsmithing LLC/ Pendleton Composite Stocks
Wayne York, Owner
43906 Jerico Ln.
Pendleton, OR. 97801
541-278-4177

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - NO WALK IN SERVICE

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sure if Larry Brace is still working. He is in Corvallis or Eugene.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Brace passed away a few years ago

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Larry Brace passed away a few years ago

That's too bad. He was a nice guy and a good gunmaker.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote