Find
Notify
Tools

.204 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
I just finished my testing of my new .204 Ruger. It's a custom using a #3 contour Shilen barrel attached to a Remington 700 action. I did the chambering with a Dave Manson chambering reamer.

No reloads was tried yet and won't for some time either.....I'm just too cheap to buy the dies right now.

I fired two factory loads.....a 40 grain bullet and a 32 grain bullet. The action was glass bedded and the barrel was free floating and the Remmy trigger was adjusted to a very light pull.....as a matter of fact it was a trifle too light but fine for testing initial loads. A Redfield 18X scope was attached but I'd have preferred a different scope.....maybe a Leupold...

The forty grain bullets left a very disappointing performance of around 2.0" at 100 yards and I didn't even measure them because I was so disappointed in their grouping.

The 32 grain bullets however was far better in accuracy from this gun and I'm convinced that when I start handloading the lighter bullets will shrink to around 3/4" at 100 yards. Berger also makes bullets for this caliber and I'm waiting for a chance to reload in a month or so. Factory loads run right at .95" at 100 yards but I only fired one five shot group. I still don't have cleaning equipment and there's other tasks to do before I get real fastideous.

While the recoil was light it was surprising how much snap on the shoulder it offered.....it did have a fairly sharp rap on me even though it wasn't much. I know that I'd be feeling it after 300 rounds of prairie dogging.

This is not a condemnation nor a recommendation for the cartridge merely a report of one man's initial shooting.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted on your progress with your range results and also when you start doing some reloading. Did you chronograph any of the shots you took? Maybe, when you start reloading, you'll find the sweet spot for the 40 gr. bullets. The BC on the 40 grainers is quite high compared to the 32 gr. bullets.

I had my Savage 12VLP out prairie dog shooting a couple weeks ago and shot about 55 rounds. I didn't really thing the recoil was any different than my .17 Remington. Of course my Savage 12VLP is a 10# gun without the scope, sling, bipod, and cartridges. How much does your rig weigh? If it is a light weight rifle, that may account for the felt recoil you experienced.

Do you do any coyote hunting? If so, the 40 gr. bullet might be a better choice thant he 32 gr. one.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some knowledgeable .20 ca. shooters are saying the 12 twist is
too slow for the Hornady 40 grain bullet. Apparently if you get a "fast" 12 twist, you are okay, but if you get a slow 12 twist [say, 12 1/2], the bullets will scatter a bit. www.saubier.com has a thread discussing the situation.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
my gun in total is 6 1/2 pounds...very light

There's a lot of data coming out.....No I didn't use my chronograph......but the early reports are for somewhat exaggerated velocities.

It's a new item and that alone makes it interesting.....and there's as much mistique in the smaller end as there is in the bigger end.....and speaking of the bigger end I also fired my .404 Jeffery the other day. It's built on a 1999 Montana action and weighs in at 8 5/8 pounds.....Now there
s some excitement for you.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote