Find
Notify
Tools

Help finding old thread
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
A couple of years back there was a thread on what should be done to a new out-of-the-box Winchester Model 70 to get the most out of it. Anybody know where that is? Or, anybody remember what the different recommendations were?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready On The Right
posted Hide Post

Posts: 86 | Location: GA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To inexpensive things that can be done are:

Change the MIM'ed extractor for a spring steel version from Wisner.

Change the OEM magazine spring for one without the 'bump', which will allow one more round to fit in the magazine.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done te extractor swap, where does one find the spring?

Good info there!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
According to the Wisners web site, they no longer make a claw extractor for the later model Winchester Model 70. Any other choices?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine here

http://www.williamsfirearms.com/extractor.html

don't know if still available

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you were supposed to dig out the hot gun glue and have it bedded on pillars.

Make sure the trigger and safety are timed properly.

If the trigger flops around have it re-pinned.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I think you were supposed to dig out the hot gun glue and have it bedded on pillars.

Make sure the trigger and safety are timed properly.

If the trigger flops around have it re-pinned.

Not necessarily pillars, but yes, have the bedding done properly. Tang [relieved at rear] and recoil lugs. The factory setup is a blob of hot melt glue around the action and barrel recoil lugs...

And if it has the black [Metal Injected Moulding] extractor, replace that with a Williams Firearms fully machined one. Available as the Winchester factory spare part, or from Brownells [Williams don't sell direct any more].

The tops of the rifling lands were pretty rough, on a lot of these rifles. The 'shoot a few, then clean' routine works, but can take a while. It took around 100 rounds for my LH .375. I strongly recommend WipeOut/PatchOut bore cleaner for this process.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote