New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Mauser actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference because a Mauser 94 and 96 action? Are there other variations? If so what makes them different? Are they small, regular and mag actions?

Also, who makes (made) good Mauser actions? I have seen a lot advertised from all over the world. Does it make a difference?

[ 12-30-2002, 21:33: Message edited by: jcsabolt-2 ]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
jcsabolt-2

Your question is really way too broad to try to answer. It would (and does) take several reference books to answer it. (I suggest "Mauser Bolt Action Rifles", by Ludwig Olson as a start.)

In GENERAL--

Only Model 98 actions are suitable for rebarreling to another caliber. M-91,93,94,95, and 96 actions are all variations of the same (weak) design. Then there are about 300 variations of the M-98 to deal with.

I've been studying M-98 actions for 35 years and don't know NOTHING yet.

<Kimmo E>
posted
The swedish military moved the rail of the action from the action to the bolt in m96. To be able to load with a clip.Paul Mauser use it in the m98!

<JBelk>
posted
Kimmo E--

I'm unclear what you're referring to. The Model 1889 was loaded by stripper clip and all the military models that came after it.

A guide rail was put on the bolt to engage with a notch in the bridge, but that was done for support reasons and had nothing to do with stripper clips that I know of.

<whisler>
posted
JBELK. If you were going to build a 35 whelan on a mauser action which one would you use and why?

<JBelk>
posted
Whisler--

My Whelen is built on a 1950 FN Police Carbine action that I welded up the thumbslot and clip guide on....that was in the days where everybody wanted a commercial FN and anything without "Orbendorf Werke Ag" on the side wasn't expensive enough for a fine rifle.

Today I'd choose ANY M-98 made by Orbendorf, BRNO, DWM, or FN that was in GOOD shape. Not many are.