THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Calculation for cartridge specific magazine platform

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calculation for cartridge specific magazine platform
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

I am aware of the calculation required for magazine dimensions for specific cartridges and have my Mauser feeding well but I have been thinking of going one step further and building a cartridge specific magazine platform.

Does anyone know of such a formula ???

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm not sure i understand your question. are you aware of mauser's formula for individual cartridges?

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
mauser's formula for individual cartridges

Phil

Can you provide that formula or a link to it please?

Thanks.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I think it it rim dia. x .866 + rim. dia. For a 30/06 it would be:

(.473 x .866) + .473 = .883

Same for shoulder.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
adamhunter is probably right. google: mauser cartridge specific magazine dimensions. second on list. bolt action rifles pg. 13 and forth on list: deer rifles and cartridges D'Arcy Echols explains. i hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good write up on african hunting.com. proper magazine layout.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adamhunter,

I think you've got it right.

In it's fullest form it's:

The magazine width corresponding to the shoulder of the case is shoulder diameter x cosine 30 degrees (.866") + shoulder diameter and;

The magazine width corresponding to the belt/head/rim of the case is belt/head/rim diameter x cosine 30 degrees (.866") + belt/head/rim diameter.

I am wondering what the significance of the 30 degrees is. Is it the optimum relationship of the cartridges in the mag ???

Does the 30 degrees correspond with the angle of the "cartridge partition" (for the lack of a better description) on the magazine platform ???

I believe that Darcy Echols and David Miller go to the trouble of making cartridge specific magazine platforms and it can only be for better feeding.

I'm sure that there are others out there that do the same.

What say you custom gun metalsmiths ????

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By "platform" I believe you mean follower in our terms. Yes, the follower can be made for specific cartridge dimensions also.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
mauser cartridge specific magazine dimensions

I have the book that Phil was referencing - Bolt Action Rifles by Wayne Van Zwoll. That's the only reason I knew the formula. I'm not a metal smith but did use the formula when trying to make my son's .260 Remington feed better. It worked!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bitterroot,

Yes it's the magazine follower that I'm talking about.

adamhunter,

Yes it certainly does work. I converted a military 8mm Mauser (FN98) to .300 Wby Mag and it'll hold four down plus one up.

It feeds 100% ............ but I was musing on building a cartridge specific magazine follower in order to see if it would make the feeding even smoother.

Spose I just haven't got enough projects !!!!?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the three thirty degree angles combined equal 90 degrees which is straight up. What you want to feed rounds straight up from the mag. Then compute the mag width to accomodate and the follower angle as well.
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
Adamhunter,

The magazine width corresponding to the shoulder of the case is shoulder diameter x cosine 30 degrees (.866") + shoulder diameter and;

The magazine width corresponding to the belt/head/rim of the case is belt/head/rim diameter x cosine 30 degrees (.866") + belt/head/rim diameter.

I am wondering what the significance of the 30 degrees is. Is it the optimum relationship of the cartridges in the mag ???

Does the 30 degrees correspond with the angle of the "cartridge partition" (for the lack of a better description) on the magazine platform ???

I believe that Darcy Echols and David Miller go to the trouble of making cartridge specific magazine platforms and it can only be for better feeding.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I suspect the three thirty degree angles combined equal 90 degrees which is straight up. What you want to feed rounds straight up from the mag. Then compute the mag width to accomodate and the follower angle as well.
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
Adamhunter,

My trig classes are too far in the past and can’t do the math in my head anymore but I speculate it has something to do with the triangle that 3 cartridges would form, each taking 30%.
I may be way off though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adamhunter,

Sounds fair to me.

I'll smile and nod and grunt knowingly as I have no better explanation.