New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ24
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am about to acquire a 1937 VZ24 barelled action. Any thoughts, likes dislikes, pitfalls?

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Is it stamped 'P-37' on the front ring? I have heard these were contract guns that mainly went to China. I saw one once at a local chain store, wish I had bought it.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Jim---

The '37s were very good actions. Some are crudely redone at an arsenal somewhere, but most are good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own allot of VZ24s.
Once a guy gets tooled up, the quality of the Mausers becomes and asset.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a VZ-24 1937 this year, paid $65 for it. Bore is a little rough, but the stock is nice, and the action is perfect, no pitting, and has a nice blue from a refinish. I kept it as a shooter, used the other VZ-24's with scrubbed Romainian crest's for actions.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
GS1200 the only REASON you have that VZ is because you got to that table 10 minutes before i did at the gun show. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
All the Chinese contract mausers from the Czechs have 1937 stamped on the reciever ring and the serial # will start with a "P" prefix. Most of these were captured by the Japs who equiped 5 divisions with captured weapons. Many were recaptured at the end of the war to be reissued to the chinese military. Although I don't own any with the 1937 stamp, I have 2 czechs that were rebarreled (1 by you) and a persian 98/29 long rifle made by the BRNO factory. All are of excellent quality. Short of neglect and abuse, I have not yet seen a bad action from the Czechs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
GS1200 the only REASON you have that VZ is because you got to that table 10 minutes before i did at the gun show. [Big Grin] [Wink]

You got to get up early!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote